nikon d200 vs. canon eos20d

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware nikon d200 vs. canon eos20d

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    number9
    Participant

i have been shopping out digital slr’s for some time now
    wondering which one to jump at
    in the guise of a christmas gift to me, i’ve got it down to two options

nikon’s new d200
    canon’s eos20-d

any thoughts?
    anyone use either of these?

like the feel of the canon
    haven’t played with the nikon yet, but love their d100 & 35mm slr’s

m

monkeybort
    Participant

i have been shopping out digital slr’s for some time now
    wondering which one to jump at
    in the guise of a christmas gift to me, i’ve got it down to two options

nikon’s new d200
    canon’s eos20-d

any thoughts?
    anyone use either of these?

like the feel of the canon
    haven’t played with the nikon yet, but love their d100 & 35mm slr’s

m

i shoot with the 20D and love it. i don’t have any experience with nikon though, so i’m not very well informed on that side.

neonstz
    Participant

The D200 is a bit more expensive than the 20D, but if it is anything like the D2X it is totally worth it. I’d wait for the dpreview.com review though.

Canon is supposed to announce their 20D successor in february or something, so if can you wait until then the price of the 20D may drop a bit.

You should also take a look at Nikon and Canons lens lineups to see if one of them meets your need more than the other.

Full Custom
    Participant

I shoot the 20D and came to Canon from Minolta (under duress). I love my 20D. The reason I went with Canon is the CMOS chip. The CMOS that Canon uses sees better in the dark than the CCD that Nikon has. This was a deciding factor for me because I shoot a lot in very dim environments (bars, streets, etc.) with no flash. The CMOS produces less artifacts and less grain and collects more light than the CCD in my experience. I just wish Minolta would have given me a good chip in a Maxxum 9 body as opposed to the Maxxum 7D “The Camera of Yesterday Today!” I’m reduced to trading my old Minolta glass for tattoos ’cause nobody wants to buy ’em. My two cents.

number9
    Participant

the cmos / ccd might be the deciding factor for me
    i shoot a lot of low-light situations without flash
    would like the best suited camera for that

i don’t have a lot of nikon / canon gear presently
    so i’d be pretty much starting over with either camp

thanks for all the advice

might be worth waiting to see what the d20 successor will be like
    anyone hear anything that’s validated?

m

Born Slippy
    Participant

The rumors are that the 20D replacement may show up at the PMA show in February but I’m thinking more like Photokina in the fall. I know the D200 is built solid, but I’m not sure the 20d needs fixing, at least picture-wise. Maybe the new camera will be built like the EOS3.

Too bad about your Minolta gear, I thought they were the only ones who nailed the ergonomics. I hated getting rid of my 600si.

chakalakasp
    Participant

The rumors are that the 20D replacement may show up at the PMA show in February but I’m thinking more like Photokina in the fall. I know the D200 is built solid, but I’m not sure the 20d needs fixing, at least picture-wise. Maybe the new camera will be built like the EOS3.

Too bad about your Minolta gear, I thought they were the only ones who nailed the ergonomics. I hated getting rid of my 600si.

Nah, a 20D built like the EOS3 would cost another $600. The EOS3 is built like a tank. You can take that baby into the Sahara desert for a week and not get sand in it. I think it’s even designed to be rained on for a little while.

What I’d love to see is a cheap-built camera like the 20D with a full frame sensor. If the 20D had a full frame sensor and a spot meter, it would be the only 35mm camera I would ever need.

Full Custom
    Participant

Tell me about it. My Maxxum 7 fit me like a glove. I went from an x-370 to Maxxum 7000 and 9000 bodies, the 9xi and finally the 7. I was always Minolta’s lone cheerleader around here. I loved their hardware, their meters and theie ergos. So I waited…and waited…and waited and I thought to myself that such a long wait would surely unleash such a feat of Minolta wierdness and fine engineering on the market that it would strike Canon and Nikon dumb. Then, there it was! The Maxxum 7D, the camera of yesterday today! Sheesh, a four year wait for a camera that was less capable than the 10D and the 20D was on the market already. I sold the 7 (and I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t cry a little when I shipped it away) and traded all my Minolta glass for a new tattoo. I went Canon and never looked back.

Anonymous
    Participant

Nah, a 20D built like the EOS3 would cost another $600. The EOS3 is built like a tank. You can take that baby into the Sahara desert for a week and not get sand in it. I think it’s even designed to be rained on for a little while.

But that’s why I loved the 3. 😀 1-level build without all the weight and price. Since I shoot dirt racetracks in the summer, I would want the dust/water seals. But I’m not sure it would be that much more though; Canon introduced the 20D for the same price as the 10D.

Are you talking about a Rebel-like camera with a 5D sensor? T’would be interesting for sure.

What I don’t understand is that when the Contax N digital came out it was full frame and 6MP. Why did we have to go with APS-C sensors? I would think it costs less to develop the battery technology….

Born Slippy
    Participant

dang it, thought I logged in…above reply from me

landseer18
    Participant

Have digital rebel at work – like it, get good pics. Have D100, D70, D200 at home. Like the feel and ergonomics better, but familiarity will do that. All make great images. Religious discussions around “better” are just that – the limitation in your photography will seldom be the camera. Get what you can afford and what fits well in your hands. Get good glass. Take lots of pics. Get good glass. Learn photoshop. Get good glass. Nuff said.

Diggin
    Participant

I shoot a D200. The Canon FF Sensor is sweet and as far as image quality goes, both the Canon 20d and Nikon’s D200 have it but you’ll find it’s easier to get stunning color and sharpness with a Canon and the quality of high ISO shots are extremely better. Even the Rebel XT takes a sharper picture than my D200. Out of the box the D200 needs some tweaking and a fast lens to match the 20d in quality. Of course, if we were talking about the Mark II vs the D2x then I’d say get the D2x!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘nikon d200 vs. canon eos20d’ is closed to new replies.