Nikon wide angle lens question

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Nikon wide angle lens question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    nelsonal
    Participant

I hope this is in the right area:

I am a new upgrader to SLR on a pretty tight budget. I decided to take the SLR plunge last fall and have been trying to get things to try as many different things as I could, even if they are pretty far from nice.

To that end, I have a D70 body, nice 50mm f1.8 (this has been my favorite lens so far), 300mm f4.5 (manual-to give you an idea of the budget constraint) for long stuff and have been looking at a wide angle lens. I’ve narrowed it down to one of two potential wide angles for something new.

The first is a Nikon auto focus 28mm. I like that I’ll have metering, but have lived without it with the tele lens. I’m a little nervous that using this on a DX sized camera means I won’t really be too far into wide angles.

The second is a Sigma autofocus 18-35mm f3.5/4.5. I’ve never used a non-nikon lens, preferring to go old or manual vs going off brand.

So, I guess my question is, is one of these substantially worse/better, is there something in the $100-$200 range that I would be better off waiting to find, I don’t mind being patient if there’s a good reason, these just seemed like a pretty good choice.

Thanks, all.

orionid
    Participant

I picked up one of these used from B&H for $220, and it’s my favorite lens. It quickly replaced my 18-55 kit lens as my walk-around, and is still razor-sharp wide open. If I go out and have only my pockets to hold lenses, I actually lean towards carrying this and the 60mm micro rather than any of the nikkor zooms.

I don’t think I can recommend any other lens I’ve used (save for maybe a fisheye for that purpose) as a general-purpose more than this one.

Sigma used to make great glass. I can only repeat hearsay about there newer stuff. I will say this, though. For extreme macro, I use a circa-1982 sigma 200mm tele-macro, originally fitted for pentax, that I modified for my nikon. And it fellates me every time I take it out.

In the high-end wides, I’m also looking at This, and IIRC, Soosh repeatedly whoops our asses with nighttime Alaska shots with The canon mount version of this.

Oh, and welcome!

sleeping
    Participant

On a DX camera 28mm is a normal not a wide angle, and the AF 28mm 2.8 does not have a great reputation (the 28mm F2.8 AI-S is better). I would recommend taking a look at the 18-55mm VR Nikkor as a decent, cheap wide angle option – even if it is kind of slow and plastic-y, the optics are pretty decent.

Curious
    Participant

I would recommend taking a look at the 18-55mm VR Nikkor as a decent, cheap wide angle option – even if it is kind of slow and plastic-y, the optics are pretty decent.

neisonal i have a 18-55mm nikkor that was the kit lens for my D3000. wanting something a little longer got a 18-105mm. net result i have a barely used nikon lens i could sell you.

i don’t want to get rich from this and it’s sitting on a shelf right now. ebay used $$ is around $100.00.

nelsonal
    Participant

Curious,
    Thank you for the offer, but I actually found a deal on the Tokina Orionid reccomended.

Curious
    Participant

Curious,
    Thank you for the offer, but I actually found a deal on the Tokina Orionid reccomended.

that looks like even better for your wide needs. i wasn’t sure how high you were willing to go. glad you found one you like.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Nikon wide angle lens question’ is closed to new replies.