No, I *really* need a better macro lens…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery No, I *really* need a better macro lens…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    caradoc
    Participant

…or at least a reversing ring.

Handholding a 50mm reversed in front of my 70-300mm gets interesting effects, but it’s really kind of tedious.

sleeping
    Participant

A reverse coupling ring to do that kind of work more conveniently should only run you a few dollars (like this). You may also need a step up/down ring if you can’t find one with the correct thread sizes, though.

Since I think you shoot Nikon, the final thing you might want is a BR-3 Adapter, that lets you mount 52mm filters/hoods on a reversed Nikon lens. Those are a bit pricier, but I got a used on on Ebay for about $20.

Of course, that setup isn’t nearly as convenient as a macro lens, but it does allow for magnification well beyond 1:1

caradoc
    Participant

Yes, I’ve been shopping for a reversing ring and a BR-3 – but I think I’ve gotten a bit better at working close with the lenses I have, too:

soosh
    Participant

I have a 180mm Tamron macro that I bought used from KEH.com and I must say that I do love it. The autofocus is so slow compared to my other lenses, but the extra working distance is really cool.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘No, I *really* need a better macro lens…’ is closed to new replies.