Skip to toolbar

Not strickly photography per se but beautiful just the same.

Forums Forums News Articles and Info Not strickly photography per se but beautiful just the same.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I liked this a whole bunch.
    http://vimeo.com/16198274

orionid
    Participant

Okay, I’ll ask. I’ve seen a bunch of these now, and think they’re all cool. But the panning shots sent me spinning. One and two axis, I had some pretty simple ideas early on, and found these through google to confirm some of my ideas.

Low budget, single axis

Dual axis, higher budget that also gives me ideas for astrophotography.

But…… side to side motion (not panning, but physical movement) baffles me. My first thought is super-expensive rail, chain, or screw systems. Or self-built ones like Mike Flores’ unit (This is his first video where he actually said how he did the side to side. Was also on fark main page about two months back). He also adds a link to a comercial unit that he’s helping to beta test. The hardware hacker in me wants a lower budget solution. So far, I’m thinking either a smaller scale rail system made with parts from the local big-box hardware store, or taking a remote control truck and replacing the motor with a stepper servo and the receiver with a simple 555 timer on variable dwell. Or, possibly even stepping into the 21st century and finally picking up an arduino unit.

/Edited cuz I spelled “fark” wrong. D’oh.

caradoc
    Participant

…possibly even stepping into the 21st century and finally picking up an arduino unit.

The Arduino is simply one of the coolest gadgets I’ve had a chance to play with in the last two years.

Check out the Camera Axe projects. All Arduino-based.

ravnostic
    Participant

Wow, caradoc, that would be awesome to have! *yet another thing to save up for.*

orinid, I had just figured he’d have the camera mounted onto a fairly large-scale model railroad track bits, with other odd bits and pieces needed to control the camera. By ‘fairly large’ I’m thinking amybe G gauge(/scale); I mean, they guy’s camera can’t be THAT huge, and given balance and the fact it would be moving VERY slowly….

But that’s just a thought. Not like I’ve ever done such imaging.

caradoc
    Participant

Wow, caradoc, that would be awesome to have! *yet another thing to save up for.*

…or just build. The Camera Axe is an open-source project – and my lightning trigger is based on a very early design in that project.

orionid
    Participant

…possibly even stepping into the 21st century and finally picking up an arduino unit.

The Arduino is simply one of the coolest gadgets I’ve had a chance to play with in the last two years.

Check out the Camera Axe projects. All Arduino-based.

Congrats on being featured there, too!

orionid, I had just figured he’d have the camera mounted onto a fairly large-scale model railroad track bits, with other odd bits and pieces needed to control the camera. By ‘fairly large’ I’m thinking amybe G gauge(/scale); I mean, they guy’s camera can’t be THAT huge, and given balance and the fact it would be moving VERY slowly….

I hadn’t given that a thought yet. Is G scale the big-ass garden scale? When I get all growed up, I think it would be neat to have an indoor/outdoor set around the living room and patio or something, but for the most part I’m an N-scale fellow (lots of track in a small package). Problem is, though, the garden scale trains are $400-600 for a simple set with a locomotive and basic track. On a budget like that, I could easily go full-out digital control slide scale with continuous motion at some incomprehensibly slow speed. I’m thinking more along the lines of under $100, or even $50 if I can. But maybe a length of track mounted on a plywood H-frame and a single set of powered trucks could do the trick on the cheap. My concern is keeping both the center of gravity and the center of pressure (because the tripod mount on an SLR is NEVER at CG) inside all potential pivot points. With slide rail, this would be negligible, open rail makes it a huge deal to keep the carrier from wobbling or tipping.

I really do need an aluminum cnc mill. Maybe it’s time to stop drooling and roll some pennies.

Curious
    Participant

I really do need an aluminum cnc mill. Maybe it’s time to stop drooling and roll some pennies.

perhaps you should have thought of that before last saturday. or is that huge pile pennies not community property now?

after googling: i thought i knew what you were talking about and i wasn’t off much. make that a huge mountain of pennies 🙂

closest i ever came to machine tools was my last job where i had the used of an old armature turner. and a horizontal band saw which was nice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.