Olympian photo "outrage"

Forums Forums News Articles and Info Olympian photo "outrage"

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Participant

http://solsticevisuals.com/post/26229830602/outrage-over-the-photographs-of-the-united-states

Has anyone else heard of this “outrage”?

I’m not digging his torn paper back drop, but that will clean up in post processing. It happens to the best professionals with $M budgets. (Ask me how I know: WSMR.)

All in all, I like the shots. They’re not the boring stodgy portraits that I prefer for myself, but they certainly convey the strength, grace, and overall power of these athletes. The weight lifter is the brawniest woman this side of Rosie the Rivetter. This is exactly what the portrait of a weight lifter should be.

I’m usually pretty snarky about stuff, but the comments on this article put me to shame. Haters gunna hate.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I like a couple of them, overall I wasn’t hugely impressed. The cropping was abysmal. All in all, I am going to run with the consensus and say they suck.

I checked out his web portfolio,
    http://www.czechphotogallery.cz/en/klamar2011.html
    and Klamar isn’t a portrait photographer. He shoots documentary/photojournalism. There is a world of difference between the two. So, rather than just lump the hate on (which I have no problem doing) and I am going to say “Well, what did you expect?” take a studio photographer and put them in the field theirs shots will likely suck balls as well.

chupathingie
    Participant

The weight lifter is the brawniest woman this side of Rosie the Rivetter.

Sarah Robles beat out everyone on the American team at last year’s world championships…not just the women, but the men as well. She can lift almost 600lbs. Brawny, indeed.

The cropping was abysmal.

That’s an understatement. I had to separate subject from setting to avoid judging the images solely on technical merit (or lack of).

As for the outrage, what the photographer has done seems to be a departure from the standard (rather stodgy) portraiture that everyone was apparently expecting. I like the pictures, myself…but I wouldn’t want them as official portraits of the teams. They look unfinished.

caradoc
    Participant

They look unfinished.

Very much agreed.

Uranus
    Participant

They look unfinished.

Very much agreed.

and again.

I checked out his web portfolio,
    http://www.czechphotogallery.cz/en/klamar2011.html
    and Klamar isn’t a portrait photographer. He shoots documentary/photojournalism. There is a world of difference between the two.

I have to disagree. The late Anton Hammerl was primarily a photojournalist, but precisely these photoreportage skills made him a peerless portrait photographer. See http://www.shootinglondon.herobo.com/

Barracuda
    Participant

If they were not ready to be released, then why were they? Yeah, with a lot of Photoshop work, some of them could be improved, but the one shot of the track & field athlete with a half rolled out back drop behind him with black on both sides? Really?

staplermofo
    Participant

The huge watches are distasteful. We get it, Swatch sponsors volleyball. You don’t have to wear three farking watches.
    On the same note, how dare he not use an Olympus camera?

The stitching on the American flag is awful.

I’d like to think someone leaked these early in protest of how over-processed and ridiculous sports portraiture has been lately.

nobigdeal
    Participant

The huge watches are distasteful. We get it, Swatch sponsors volleyball. You don’t have to wear three farking watches.

I’d like to think someone leaked these early in protest of how over-processed and ridiculous sports portraiture has been lately.

Giant watches are hideous.

lokisbong
    Participant

Giant watches are hideous.

I have the same problem and extend it to the giant sunglasses women and girls are wearing these days.

Uranus
    Participant

Next olympics, this :

Yoyo
    Participant

I didn’t know pimping was an Olympic sport.

chupathingie
    Participant

hell, it ain’t easy….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Olympian photo "outrage"’ is closed to new replies.