Ouch!

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Ouch!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

Well that was painful… B&H just got me for considerably more than my tax refund. So much for willpower. I’d been mulling over getting some glass and accessories for about a month now, and finally decided I didn’t really have a compelling reason not to. I also ordered sleeping‘s semi-budget macro flash setup. That aughtta keep me busy for a while.

Now for most of a week of anticipation… I’ll try to sooth my lack of willpower by playing with new toys…

chupathingie
    Participant

wow, ran off all day getting RW stuff done and not a single “whatcha get?”… You guys are tough to troll…

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I’ll bite. What’dya get?

chupathingie
    Participant

TOYS! And thanks for biting, palma (pokes with stick) 😉 Bought sleeping‘s suggested kit (as mentioned, and after looking around I realised the recommendation pretty much fit), a set of extender tubes, a pair of mid-grade UV filters since I needed them simply for protection from the wind and blown sand here (plus I do like the way they knock haze down), an additional 77mm circ polarizer so I won’t have to swap when I change lenses, and something I think I’m gonna enjoy even if I don’t manage to use it for it’s intended purpose (wide-field astrophotography)… a 70-200mm L ISII USM.

Much as I’m looking forward to playing with the new zoomer, I REALLY wanna see what the extender tubes do with some other lenses. I’ve got a slew of potential targets and stages in mind for the macro end of things…

sleeping
    Participant

Hmm, I hope I didn’t lead you down the wrong path. I tried using the macro flashes today, and it turns out the slaves do not like full sunlight *at all*. I may have to rig something up with PC cords or something….

chupathingie
    Participant

Fair enough, sleeping, I think I could actually do what I’m intending in natural light indoors. I have very little experience with lighting; I lean towards landscapes. You’d be fair to say “All that guy does is landscapes.” Your recommendation made a lot of sense for indoor use, especially since I have no clue how to control outdoor lighting. Hey, this is all a learning experience for me, and most of of the FT’y crowd have the hands-on that I lack. Not to mention you folks have some free time… I envy you for that… I’ll be happy to take 1/2 dozen images that I like a year; even if I have to plan and process to get them. I’m hardly close to that goal yet.

Curious
    Participant

Much as I’m looking forward to playing with the new zoomer, I REALLY wanna see what the extender tubes do with some other lenses. I’ve got a slew of potential targets and stages in mind for the macro end of things…

i’ve had ext tubes for roughly 5 years now for two different cameras and love them. these couple to the cameras focus and exposure controls unlike my bellows for the film cameras. i think you will find they were a good purchase.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Sorry, I was gone most of yesterday for Father’s Day stuff. Sounds like you got fun toys, though! I have a set of extension tubes, and I love them as well for the versatility with various lenses. Have fun!

Kestrana
    Participant

Yup we have extension tubes too and use them regularly.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

… and something I think I’m gonna enjoy even if I don’t manage to use it for it’s intended purpose (wide-field astrophotography)… a 70-200mm L ISII USM.

Congrats! As an owner of one of those myself, I know the pain you’re talking about. Did you get the ouch! f/4 or the ouch! this-thing-costs-more-than-my-first-car f/2.8?

chupathingie
    Participant

I got the 2.8. I figured it could also be used as an f5.6 400mm with a doubler, which gives it a nicely sized field of view for some of the brighter DSOs out there. I almost bought the non-IS version, but after playing with a cheap 70-300mm the other day and having a great deal of difficulty spot-focusing I figured I’d better just blow the money on the IS. Hurts now, but I know I’ll be happy I did it later.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Ext tubes are awesome! You will have fun with them, but that 70-200 f2.8 is a beast! You are going to love that lens even though it weighs 100 lbs!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Ouch!’ is closed to new replies.