Output Resolution/Embed ICC profile

Forums Forums Get Technical Farktography tech talk Output Resolution/Embed ICC profile

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Slowpoke
    Participant

When I process my pictures I have the area that allows me to change the Output resolution or click over to Embed ICC profile.

Anyway the resolution default is 350 dpi, now I can change it all the way to 9,999 dpi. Ok what is increasing the DPI going to do for me? Should I raise it above 350?

Also what is Embed ICC profile?

Any help is appreciated…

SP

monkeybort
    Participant

what are you using the images for?

if you’re printing, i think that pretty much anything over 300 ppi is wasted.

if you change the ppi, be sure to change the dimensions as well, so your file size doesn’t change – that will help keep you from getting fuzziness or pixelation that would occur if you radically changed the file size.

example – my pics come off my camera at something like 48 x 32 inches, 72 ppi, which is about a 25 mb file (i’m estimating here). during my workflow i change the dimensions to 12 x 8 inches, 300 ppi, but my file size stays at 25 mbs.

ICC profiles are color profiles. if you have your workspace, your monitor, your camera, scanner, and your printer all set to the same profile, your prints/scans/files are going to be much more uniform from camera to monitor to printer (or whatever).

Slowpoke
    Participant

All I’m doing with them is sending them to Photomax to be printed or putting them into a video presentation. Nothing major.

I’ve noticed that when I upload pictures to the web, most times my sharp images appear soft online. I didn’t know if raise the dpi would help that or not.

monkeybort
    Participant

All I’m doing with them is sending them to Photomax to be printed or putting them into a video presentation. Nothing major.

I’ve noticed that when I upload pictures to the web, most times my sharp images appear soft online. I didn’t know if raise the dpi would help that or not.

when you’re posting things to the web, you generally change the ppi to 72, right? interpolating 10% at a time may help reduce some of the fuzziness. In photoshop, you can change the settings to decrease the size by %, instead of by inches. If you just go down 10% at a time until you get the file size you want, it helps maintain the image integrity. if you do it all at once, photoshop is throwing out a ton of pixels at a whack instead of just a few at a time. If it can do a few at a time, it generally makes better choices.

i’d leave the resolution at 300 or so if you’re getting them printed.

schnee
    Participant

I haven’t tried monkeybort’s resize-in-steps suggestion; perhaps I should.

One thing that I do to try to keep sharpness after a resize is to apply a sharpening technique. Photoshop has all sorts of sharpeners – if I’m in a hurry, I’ll use the built-in Sharpen Edges or the Smart Sharpen filters. If I really want to control the sharpening, I’ll use a different process. I usually sharpen right before final output.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Output Resolution/Embed ICC profile’ is closed to new replies.