Peleng 8mm, Zenitar 16mm

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Peleng 8mm, Zenitar 16mm

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    staplermofo
    Participant

Anyone know anything about these crazy lil mofos?
    (or correcting for distortion easily)
    It looks too good to be true.

stupido
    Participant

Stapler,

I have a Zenitar 16mm. I like it. The links below have some pics I took years ago. Its a nice lens but I don’t use it much.

Also I got the original screw mount version. It will not stop down on a K-mount camera.

http://64.253.97.239/zenitar/zenitar.htm
    http://64.253.97.239/panama/2000nov/2000nov.htm

staplermofo
    Participant

Stapler,

I have a Zenitar 16mm. I like it. The links below have some pics I took years ago. Its a nice lens but I don’t use it much.

Also I got the original screw mount version. It will not stop down on a K-mount camera.

http://64.253.97.239/zenitar/zenitar.htm
    http://64.253.97.239/panama/2000nov/2000nov.htm

Thanks for the reply. I actually already got the same lens, and aside from being really hard to focus at closer than a meter, I love it. In fact, I’ve used it in 4 of my last 6 farktography entries.

I’m going to try to tape a close up filter on it, I’ll post pics if it works out.

stupido
    Participant

Might be a bit difficult with the close up filter. I would go with an extension tube so that you don’t risk messing up the lens with tape.

I like the urinals!

Which mount do you have?

staplermofo
    Participant

It uses some crazy mount with an EF adapter.

The lil hood looks like it might take a 60mm filter, so I’m going to try that (because it’s already ordered).

Extension tubes look unappealingly expensive, do they do anything other that just hold the lens out further?

schnee
    Participant

Extension tubes look unappealingly expensive, do they do anything other that just hold the lens out further?

They are what they purport to be: “tubes”. No lens or anything else in the optical path. The expense comes from the mount and the electronics to pass autofocus info. And the precision manufacturing – for tubes, 25mm is a bit different than 26mm. You could try to make one from a toilet paper role.

Some people claim tubes give a better image than a closeup lens. Me, I’m not so sure, but I’ve never done a direct comparison. The tube modifies the focal plane which the lens is optimized to use. A well-made closeup lens (two or more elements, multicoated, &c) also modifies the focal plane. Tomato, tomato, I expect.

sleeping
    Participant

Extension tubes have a fairly extreme effect on wide angle lenses, I wouldn’t get one for a super wide angle unless you want to focus *really* close to the front element of the lens. My shortest tube is 12mm, and on a 24mm lens it focuses about an inch from the front element at infinity. On a 16mm lens it would be even closer (magnification for a tube of a given length increases as the focal length decreases), and you might not be able to focus it at all – the focus point could conceivably be inside the lens.

You might be able to get an older and cheaper all manual tube that fits the lens mount if it’s a t mount or M42 thread, though. Given that it’s an all manual lens you don’t need an AF screw or electronic contacts.

If you just want to get a bit closer, a Close up lens is probably a better option. They are the opposite of tubes in that they decrease in magnification as focal length decreases, so to get super close with a wide angle lens you need a fairly high diopter power – that will tend to degrade image quality more than a moderate diopter, especially at the edges and/or when the lens is wide open.

stupido
    Participant

Some people claim tubes give a better image than a closeup lens. Me, I’m not so sure, but I’ve never done a direct comparison. The tube modifies the focal plane which the lens is optimized to use. A well-made closeup lens (two or more elements, multicoated, &c) also modifies the focal plane. Tomato, tomato, I expect.

I have used both. I guess it depends on how close you want to get. For field use, the close up lens are the best choice. For studio work, I prefer to use the tubes if it would otherwise require me to use more than one close-up lens. I just don’t like stacking the lenses. Adds too many optical surfaces.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Peleng 8mm, Zenitar 16mm’ is closed to new replies.