Perseids?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Damn fisheye aspects; I thought the triangulum was that, but couldn’t make it gibe so I gave up (and I had to go to work.)

Neat app, Causal!

And I’ll check out the Flickr group as well.

ravnostic
    Participant

P.S.; I’ll be shooting from 1:30am to 2:30 pm, 15 second shots (maybe 10), till my two 4 gig and 1 1gig card are full, or time runs out. Maybe I’ll get one. Or two. Will post in the a.m.

Kestrana
    Participant

I got nothing, orionid got a couple little ones.

orionid
    Participant

I believe your exact quote was “Fuck you, Swift-Tuttle.”

soosh
    Participant

ha.

ravnostic
    Participant

I think I got nothin; I didn’t watch every second. I did about 30 minutes, continual 15 second exposure (jpeg only; no point in RAW format for meteors in light pollution anyway.) Won’t know till I get home and upload them.

lol at Kestrana quote.

Kestrana
    Participant

I believe your exact quote was “Fuck you, Swift-Tuttle.”

Aye, my feet were also cold and wet.

orionid
    Participant

Meanwhile, my peeves were more aimed at the light pollution, the fact that we missed the peak night, and that I didn’t have the fisheye.

lokisbong
    Participant

My pet peeve right now is humidity. I can get pretty far from city lights fairly easily it seems from my latest trip. I cannot escape the lens fogging humidity without moving. It has been 90+% humidity and 50ish degrees for weeks now. Day and night no more than a five degree change with no change at all to humidity.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

loki, my camera manual says this about condensation:

If the camera is suddenly brought in from the cold into a warm room, condensation may form on the camera and internal parts. To prevent condensation, first put the camera in a sealed plastic bag and let it adjust to the warmer temperature before taking it out of the bag.

I was in St. Pete FL a couple of weeks ago on vacation and ran into the same issue. As soon as I stepped out of the car’s A/C, my glasses and camera would fog up. I just let it acclimate before using it and it seemed to do fine.

lokisbong
    Participant

No. The problem is the moisture tends to get on the lens while still in use. Even a 2 minute exposure and I need to clean off the fog that has accumulated. not needing air conditioning or heaters either one right now, just a huge county sized dehumidifier. I walk around feeling like a half wet sponge all day.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah because the dewpoint is very high in the summer. We had to wipe our lenses down at times too but it was also 90 degrees during the day and 58 degrees when we were out shooting, so the humidity definitely caught up to us.

Turned out in post-processing I did catch one faint one near the horizon but not really photo-worthy.

ravnostic
    Participant

Sure enough I didn’t get anything. I deleted the 72 pics I took as light polluted and a sad commentary on our night skies. I did, however, get some awesome pictures after work in the morning, for Chairs, maybe for some other upcoming contests. All was not lost.

caradoc
    Participant
    ravnostic
    Participant

Jealous. As. Fuck.

That is sa-weet! From what I can tell, it’s about a 90 degree fisheye lens; it’s 22.5 degrees from the Double Cluster in Perseus (where they seem to originate from) to Andromeda (above and a bit to the left). Can’t be more than a 30 second exposure or we’d see trails (or the dome would, alternately, trail); must have been one hell of a camera setup! Just goes to show you what dark, non polluted skies can do for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • The topic ‘Perseids?’ is closed to new replies.