Pickerel’s daily shot (or attempt at such)

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Pickerel’s daily shot (or attempt at such)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pickerel
    Participant

I am not going to try doing this in the normal sense of a photo-a-day thing. Instead, I will put up one photo from any given time, each day. Hopefully I will have some amount of story to include with the shot, since usually the most memorable shots / personal favourite shots I have are the ones that have stories to complement composition. At least I will try to do keep this regular. I try to throw myself at any kinds of adventure on the weekends, but hey that means more photos and stories!

Here’s today’s pick – a little bit a surreal self-portrait. What is really hard to illustrate is my position. The background is about 15 feet below me, and I am lying on my back on a fallen tree that was propped up against other trees. The angle was such that I had to cover about 40-50 feet to reach that height, with no handholds until that point.

Relax by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Nikon D7000 – AF-S 24mm f/1.4G – f/3.5 – ISO 400 – 1/160sec

Pickerel
    Participant

Okay, maybe I will not do this daily since that will feel spam-ish. Or I’ll just edit new photos onto existing posts so there’s a few in each post. Anywho, here’s one for today. Pretty appropriate for fark, what with the dominating streetlight. I stopped at the Bennington Battle Monument on my way home from a dance weekend in Greenfield, MA and Brattleboro, VT in May. Didn’t wind up spending time there since my passengers just wanted to go home, but as I walked back to the truck I noticed the streetlight lining up with the monument and making for a (probably) unique perspective. And a pretty appropriate one for fark, what with the streetlight emphasis and stuff. 😛

_DSG5713 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Nikon D7000 – AF-S 16-35mm f/4G VR – 27mm – f/8 – ISO 100 – 1/400sec

chupathingie
    Participant

I like the parallelism (is that even a word?) in the second… the first one really messed up my sense of perspective, which just made me look at it even more.

That and you’re the spitting image of a friend of mine 20 years ago.

lokisbong
    Participant

I like the parallelism (is that even a word?) in the second… the first one really messed up my sense of perspective, which just made me look at it even more.

That and you’re the spitting image of a friend of mine 20 years ago.

That’s kinda weird because I was thinking something very similar about his appearance. You (Pickerel) look a lot like a guy I knew long ago in Portland Or. named Bill. You don’t really look to be in your mid 40s though so I doubt you are the same guy. lol

chupathingie
    Participant

Screw zombies, we got us a time-traveling Doppelg?nger up in here! 😆

Pickerel
    Participant

Want a messed up sense of perspective? Try taking photos while balanced on a log! Perspective seen through viewfinder or LCD not matching what gravity is telling you + being pretty far off the ground on a narrow thing = yikes!

Man, I wish I was from Portland, Oregon. It was fun yesterday back to college for the first day. Me at a community college, oh goodness what contrast! I could have just time-traveled from a college campus in the 70s, to what things look like today at a suburban community college. And I don’t mind the difference in the least. I’m me and stuff!

Today’s shot is courtesy of French Creek State Park and Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site, two parks adjacent to each other in Pennsylvania.

_DSG5905 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Nikon D7000 – AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR1 – 70mm – f/5.6 – ISO 100 – 1/640sec

And here’s a photo from a dance later that day… some motion blur on account of the terrible lighting and me already pushing my camera pretty far, but hooray for twirly skirts!

_DSG6058 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Nikon D7000 – AF 50mm f/1.8D – f/1.8 – ISO 3200 – 1/160sec

Last shot I’ll put on this post – friend being bizarre at a diner post-dance. Wish I had a shot from that one time we walked into the diner with someone on my back, playing a ukelele, but there was someone on my back, playing a ukelele…

_DSG5781 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Nikon D7000 – AF-S 24mm f/1.4G – f/1.4 – ISO 800 – 1/20sec

Pickerel
    Participant

Haven’t touched this in a while, so here’s an abstract thing. White balance, saturation and luminance extensively tinkered with in Lightroom.

March 11, 2012 – Array by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Nikon D7000 – AF-S 24mm f/1.4G – f/2.8 – ISO 100 – 1/320sec

Because I’m so far behind (getting better!) here’s a shot from my first day with the 85mm f/1.8G

_DSG6902 by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Nikon D7000 – AF-S 85mm f/1.8G – f/1.8 – ISO 3200 – 1/50sec

Pickerel
    Participant

So I’m terrible at this, but there doesn’t seem to be much traffic here and I don’t want to flood with stuff. Here’s some B&W prints I have done in my class. We’ve only started spotting, so I will probably touch up some of these. I bought an F5 just for this class, because I wanted to be able to use all my newest lenses that have vibration reduction and no aperture ring, and have a 100% viewfinder.

West River at Brattleboro by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Nikon F5 – AF-S 16-35mm f/4G VR – Kentmere K100

Em by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Nikon F5 – AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR – Kentmere K100

West River Dock by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Nikon EL2 – Tokina 100mm f/2.8D Macro – Fujifilm Superia 400

Lambertville – New Hope Crossings by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Nikon EL2 – 50-300mm f/4.5 w/ Kenko 1.4x teleconverter – Ilford HP5+

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Pickerel’s daily shot (or attempt at such)’ is closed to new replies.