Potential PS/Farktography Crossover Theme

Forums Forums Projects and Collaborations Photoshoptography Potential PS/Farktography Crossover Theme

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I received an email this evening from TF’er and Photoshopper el chode who had an idea for a crossover theme. I’m quoting him here:

I wanted to create a photoshop contest that had an ‘O’ with 3 images consisting of an incomplete sequence which the photoshoppers would complete. For example, a sequence of someone eating a seed, drinking some water, and photoshopping the result, or something like a fat kid, an blank image, and an empty pool. Ideally though, the image would be a changing foreground with a static background so that the photoshoppers are editing the same image.

I had been having a hard time findings a GIS, so some people in the PSAEF thought having farktographers create the ‘O’ would be the best path.

What say you? Anyway we could do an impromptu or official farktography contest for this and have the winning submission be the ‘O’ for the photoshop contest?

I think there’s a lot of potential here, though we obviously need to hash out the details and perameters. The first thing that comes to mind is that each “entry” from a Farktographer would need to comprise two images as they are 2/3 of the series. Would we want to limit entries for that week to maybe 2 (which would be 4 total images per Farktographer)?

Also, I think we need to maybe do some education around images that work best for Photoshopping–the artsy fartsy shallow depth of field stuff I like so well doesn’t work that well for PS’ing, and I know that, but not everyone thinks about that stuff. The first crossover theme we tried was a bit of a struggle because the images that won the Farktography side weren’t the best candidates for Photoshopping, and anything we can do to increase the success of the crossover would be great for both groups.

I’ve invited el chode to join us and the discussion here, and I hope we can get the details worked out (and quickly). There’s a metric assload of talent in both the PS and Farktography groups, and we almost certainly don’t collaborate enough.

linguine
    Participant

I think this could be a lot of fun. If we’re worried about first place not being a great o for a photoshop contest would it be possible to let the photoshop mods(are there photoshop mods?) pick from the top 3 or 5 entries in case first place wouldnt make a good o. I think changing the entry limit to 2 sets of 2 pics would probably be a good idea as well just to keep it from getting too long.

SilverStag
    Participant

I agree on the assloads of talent, but I tend to think of it in terms of Imperial assloads rather than metric assloads.

I’d really like to find out what sort of image makes for a good PS contest ‘O’… I agree that the run -of-the-mill arthouse stuff is probably not what someone like YSV or lukket looks for, but agree that it might be good to get some sort of idea as to what they do need.

Curious
    Participant

ok , my PS skills are crap but i do hang out in the PSAEF – and i have stayed at a holiday inn before so …

a good “O” has size. both in pixels and KB. to do a good cut out or to add an element you want the edge you’re working on as large as possible without it pixelating. if we do this we will have to link (or provide) our original photos. the ones that get sized down to 640 and <70KB for the contest are marginal for PS.

the photo should be sharp front to back -good DOF — because the more there is to work with the better the resulting PS entries. some folks use the foreground parts, some the back ground.

in general folks use the main subject of the “O” and play with/on it. but not always if there are more than one subject. in this case that may not apply. Ideally though, the image would be a changing foreground with a static background so that the photoshoppers are editing the same image.

while i like the idea i’m not sure how we would/could have a contest that would be part of our weekly series. would folks be voting for what they imagine the third frame to be? and to do what el chode wants means not restricting the entries to any particular rules as far as subject goes. so again how does one vote?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

while i like the idea i’m not sure how we would/could have a contest that would be part of our weekly series. would folks be voting for what they imagine the third frame to be? and to do what el chode wants means not restricting the entries to any particular rules as far as subject goes. so again how does one vote?

Yeah, maybe this should be a separate thing from the usual weekly contest. And publicize it well on the PSAE so the ‘shoppers can turn out in force to vote on what they want to use for an ‘O’?

staplermofo
    Participant

We could vote on which photos are great and which photos are great for photoshop separately, and have people post their stuff in the forum well before the contest so the photoshoppers have more time to work.

Uranus
    Participant

ummmm, as this is el chode‘s baby, why not send an assload of links to our various , clearly labelled submissions, and let him decide which series would be the most appropriate, rather than stage a competition which might not yield the desired result.

It’s a little bolshie but, after all, all that’s wanted is a suitable “O”, or do I have this wrong?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s probably not a bad idea…

aprillove20
    Participant

that’s a brilliant idea. i think lot’s of people will participate your contest.
    especially if that’s there hobby. for sure they will really join.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Potential PS/Farktography Crossover Theme’ is closed to new replies.