Printers

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Printers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

I just bought this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609356-REG/Canon_3295B002_PIXMA_Pro9000_Mark_II.html

on ebay for $200. Arrived today, ran some test prints on a some el cheapo photo paper I had lying around. HOLY CRAP! They’re beautiful! I’m going to have to learn some color profiling to really make them pop, but I am now officially in the printing business.

In the short run, it is probably cheaper to have a lab do my prints, but paper and ink aren’t terribly more expensive than normal inkjet. Still, it’s a big honking printer that can print 13×19 prints that look freaking great!

Woot!

Kestrana
    Participant

Nice! Make your own Christmas cards!

orionid
    Participant

*drool*

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

In the short run, it is probably cheaper to have a lab do my prints, but paper and ink aren’t terribly more expensive than normal inkjet.

That’s why I gave up on inkjets altogether. On the infrequent occasion that I wanted to print in color, I’d find that the ink had dried and I’d either have to replace the print head or run several cleaning cycles. I use an old LaserJet 4+ that I can stick a $99 toner cartidge in and it lasts more than a year.

That said, if you want instant gratification and/or total control of the output, I’ve seen the quality of prints those things put out and it’s pretty amazing, so congrats!

I’d be interested in an update a few months down the road to hear your feelings on actual ink & paper costs or other unexpected hassles (or lack thereof).

ennuipoet
    Participant

That’s why I gave up on inkjets altogether. On the infrequent occasion that I wanted to print in color, I’d find that the ink had dried and I’d either have to replace the print head or run several cleaning cycles. I use an old LaserJet 4+ that I can stick a $99 toner cartidge in and it lasts more than a year.

That said, if you want instant gratification and/or total control of the output, I’ve seen the quality of prints those things put out and it’s pretty amazing, so congrats!

I’d be interested in an update a few months down the road to hear your feelings on actual ink & paper costs or other unexpected hassles (or lack thereof).

Tell the truth, the printer is more of business investment. To do any kind of sales you need to control the product from beginning to end. So, now I can run prints from gigs. I can deliver printed proofs and full sized prints, anything larger than 13×19 I will still have to farm out but I’ve got a start.

I also picked up a Strobist kit (two off camera flashes and remotes) to do portrait work.

I may not make any money on this, but I’m damn sure gonna try.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Awesome! Best of luck. Getting paid decently for doing something you enjoy definitely makes for a happier work life.

Yoyo
    Participant

I just bought this:

PIXMA_Pro9000_Mark_II

…I’m going to have to learn some color profiling to really make them pop, but I am now officially in the printing business.

In the short run, it is probably cheaper to have a lab do my prints, but paper and ink aren’t terribly more expensive than normal inkjet. Still, it’s a big honking printer that can print 13×19 prints that look freaking great

With rebates it’s below $300 at Adorama. http://www.adorama.com/ICAP9000M2.html

I’m considering upgrading from my Canon Pixma 280 (so cheap it’s almost disposable). I get good 4×6 prints from what I’ve got now, but for 120 stereo slides the 600×300 dpi leaves something to be desired.

I was considering the PRO-100, but there aren’t many reviews of it (and even fewer of the PRO-10). Strangely enough, the PRO-1 reviews are less than stellar and most of them complain about the ink consumption.

So, in conclusion, I’m resurrecting this zombie thread instead of starting a new one to ask for advice on printers. What have you got? Canon, Epson, HP,…? What do you like and dislike and recommend?

There are no local print shop in my city. So having the capacity to print at home instead of dealing with shipping would be a good thing.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I am still in love with my Pixma, it’s make bee you tiff full prints. It is an ink hog, but they all are. Important caveat, no matter what you might think off brand ink is crap, it will screw up the printer and give you crap prints. Spend the money for Canon inks and print wisely.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Printers’ is closed to new replies.