Product Photography

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Product Photography

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Analogy
    Participant

I decided to try something different and see what it’s like doing product photography.

I just have to say, boy is that more tedious than anything I would ever want to do without being paid a good chunk of money to do it.

Read all about the entire process I went through here: http://tvsteve.blogspot.com/

CaptainJim
    Participant

Here is what I would do

Analogy
    Participant

I’m not sure what you mean with the “logo work” and “define the wheel more” comments. The other ones are just photoshop magic stuff that I noticed (except “more contrast,” which seemed fine to me) but frankly I was too sick of photoshop at that point to bother with. I seriously hate dicking around in photoshop, the less the better. It’s just so…freaking….TEDIOUS. I’d really rather just hand off the post duties to someone else and just focus on taking pictures.

If I had any tolerance for photoshop I would have taken a “lights out” shot and just let the glow from the lights burn in so I could composite them into the final. As it was I tried to do it in camera by firing the strobes and then keeping the shutter open to let the mouse lights burn in.

If you meant the logo on the mouse pad didn’t have to be included, I could have fixed the border issue at the same time by shooting closer to the middle of the pad, but I figured since the mouse and mouse pad are from the same manufacturer it made a neat shot to get the logo in.
    The mouse wheel looks pretty much exactly the same as it does in real life. And actually a good sight better than the mousewheel in Razer’s own product photos (click here then click on “Gallery”), which show it as a solid overexposed white with a red glow around it, though they get the side lights better because they use only overhead lighting and aren’t getting specular reflections off the rubber side rails.

One area both could do better would be in lighting the underside. If I hadn’t been trying to get the mousepad in the shot I could have shot on a white background and masked in a black background. That would have let the underside reflect the white and give it definition.

Meh, maybe I’ll try it again.

CaptainJim
    Participant

I’m sorry, I was in a bad mood last night so I scribbled suff on your picture that I’ve seen art directors do. Some of it makes scence and some of it is cryptic at best. I acually do like your picture though.

Analogy
    Participant

Hahaha. It’s all good, I actually welcome any advice that makes me a better photographer, no matter how it’s phrased. I actually am genuinely interested in what you meant by those scribbles so I know better in the future.

CaptainJim
    Participant

Honestly I think the scroll wheel is a little soft and as you pointed out the bottom of the mouse could have a tad more light on it. I didn’t realize that the logo was on the mouse pad, I thought you had added it(oops).

How many lights are you using? Sometimes for a simple shot I might use 5 or more lights and reflectors all wraped with cinafoil and little holes cut out to get the highlights just right. Other times I will drill a hole in the table and put a light under it to add sparkle to a glass or liquid sitting on the hole. It’s the little things that count and I’m very anal retentive about things like that.

I think the best way to get better at photography is to put your best pictures up on a wall and look at them for about a week and write down on them everything you can find wrong and then try to take the same shot and make it better. You are at the point now that most people are just going to tell you that you’re great because they don’t know any better. Don’t believe that, you can always do better and have to reinvent yourself constantly.

And if you ever want to go pro I highly recomend an agent.

/Take care

Analogy
    Participant

Scroll wheel’s pretty true to life actually. It’s made out of rubber and lit from within so there’s no real definition to it even in real life.

For lighting I’m limited to the number of desk lamps I can get my hands on. =D In that shot it was two, one doing rim lighting and one doing key lighting, with a reflector (CD Jewel case) adding some light to the front right edge of the mouse. Very DIY. I’m still working on lenses before I start spending money on lighting, my standard zoom I’m using right now is pure crap.

I’m pretty happy with how the lights came out except for the side rail.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Product Photography’ is closed to new replies.