Quantaray 18-50 mm

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Quantaray 18-50 mm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    linguine
    Participant

Has anyone ever used the Quantaray 18-50 mm lens or heard anything about how good it is?

caradoc
    Participant

I don’t recall ever having heard anyone say they loved their Quantaray – two of my mentors have said that it’s very dependent on exactly which lens you get in their line, and that their line overall is marketed toward consumer-level photographers, not pros. It’s the Ritz/Wolf “house brand,” so I’m betting you’ll get what you pay for (i.e., cheap lens.)

You might try Google. I just spent a few minutes checking, and the general opinion of the entire Quantaray line isn’t good.

Analogy
    Participant

I don’t have any experience with them, but does anyone else think that a “Quantaray” sounds like some kind of aquatic lifeform?

3Horn
    Participant

linguine, what camera are you shooting?

linguine
    Participant

i use a d50

3Horn
    Participant

Do you have the Nikkor 18-55 that comes as a kit lens? I seriously doubt the Quantaray can compare to it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I haven’t heard a single good thing about Quantary lenses, and I’m not an OEM snob–I love my Tamron 28-75, and I have a Tokina 12-24 on the way (w00t!). Typically the big third party lens manufacturers are limited to Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma. Other manufacturers don’t tend to even get a second glance.

linguine
    Participant

Ive got the Nikkor 28-80, there was a sale with that lens instead of the 18-55, so I was mostly looking for something a little wider that would be better for close ups. But after reading around some more its looking like its probably a good idea to stay away from Quantary lenses.

staplermofo
    Participant

I have a 28mm Quantaray which is 100% awesome. You can play hackysack with it without fear of hurting it, it’s sharp as a tack, has reasonably good color and bokeh, and is just generally nice. Aperture control just doesn’t work with digital bodies (which is apparently common with older Sigma and Quantaray lenses for Canon AF).

Of course, there are plenty of other Quantaray lenses which by all accounts will fall apart if you look at them the wrong way, and have the optical quality of melted plastic.

I’ve heard from more than a few places that their best lenses are just rebadged designs from other 3rd party folks, like Sigma. But Sigma’s 18-50mm looks like a totally different design. That, plus the total lack of reviews means it’s probably garbage, but I have no idea.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, now I’ve heard something good about Quantaray 😉

linguine
    Participant

The average review of this lens on ritzs website was actually 4.5 out of 5, but it was only 2 reviews so I figured it would be better to look for more reviews than just go off 2 ratings.

caradoc
    Participant

I did some more poking around. From what I can gather, the entire Quantaray line consists of rebadged OEM hardware from Sigma and Tamron – mostly from the bottom end of those manufacturers. As staplermofo noted, your mileage may vary.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Quantaray 18-50 mm’ is closed to new replies.