Rebel XTi- What lens..I read the thread below!:)

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Rebel XTi- What lens..I read the thread below!:)

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    ChubbyTiger
    Participant

Don’t take me too seriously, cause I’m new around here and fairly new to dSLRs, but…. I’ve got the xTi and I’m using a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens primarily. I definitely like it and I especially like the fact that it’s pretty fast. Don’t limit yourself to the OEM lenses, necessarily. Canon makes great ones, no doubt, but some of the aftermarket manufacturers are pretty good, too.

PlagiarizeMe
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice. I just got back yesterday, Sun March 11th, from Daytona Bike Week and the Superbike races all week. I got tons of good and bad photographs. It is going to take forever to weed through them all. here is one that stuck out first…got tons of wheelies, banking shots, o and even some women 😉

All in all, I think the 28-135mm did a pretty decent job. I was stopping motorcylces doing over 100mph+++

powerplantgirl
    Participant

Oh you think he’s joking?!

/gimme back my iPod!

schnee
    Participant

what PPG said, kaitou. Stay away from strangers with staplers.

/stay away from me, too. Your F2.8L is a sweet lens.

ChubbyTiger
    Participant

Bike Week? You so suck. One day I too will attend. I even missed the 200 on SpeedVision. Very nice shot, btw.

PlagiarizeMe
    Participant

Ok, I have enjoyed the 28-135 MM but am getting antsy to purchase a new lens. If the 28-135 would be compatible with the Canon 2x extender I would probably keep it, but I want to zoom in tighter. I am looking at these two lens to replace it with:

EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Anyone had any experience with either? I probably can’t afford the 100-400, it is out of my price range at the moment.

schnee
    Participant

EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Anyone had any experience with either? I probably can’t afford the 100-400, it is out of my price range at the moment.

I have the 70-200 f/4L but the older non-IS version. It is one sweet lens – I call it my magic lens. Mechanically, it is very solid – constant aperture, deadset manual focus, quick autofocus, &c. , but the optics, oh the optics. Very sharp and very nice color.

You’ll see some samples of what it can do tonight over on Fark.

Analogy
    Participant

I have the 100-400. I’m actually looking to sell it if you’re interested, I could give it to you for about the same price as a new 70-200 f/4 IS.

Reason I’m looking to sell the 100-400 is because while it’s a good lens, there’s not enough aperture for all of the low-light shooting I do. You can see some photos I took with it here. If you click “more info” over on the right you’ll see as the sun went down how much I had to boost the ISO to get usable shutter speeds.

PlagiarizeMe
    Participant

I have the 100-400. I’m actually looking to sell it if you’re interested, I could give it to you for about the same price as a new 70-200 f/4 IS.

Beach Camera is selling the 70-200 for $999 until 7/16/2007. You state in another post that you feel the lens is still broken, do you still feel that way or do you think it is the lowlight situations you shoot in? Also, how old is the lens? Is it USM? that may be a dumb question…I may be interested but I have to sell the 28 – 135 first……

I shoot mostly motorcycle sports such as motocross and streetbikes and need more zoom. The 135 is sweet, but just will not reach out there and grab the shots I want!

Analogy
    Participant

Beach Camera is selling the 70-200 for $999 until 7/16/2007.

Price is similar at B&H where I looked it up.

You state in another post that you feel the lens is still broken, do you still feel that way or do you think it is the lowlight situations you shoot in?

I’m just not sure anymore… I now have a feeling my softness issues at 400mm were from my camera not hitting focus very well in AI servo mode, since I’ve taken some sharp photos with it at 400mm in one shot mode and I’ve had the camera not hit focus with other lenses in servo. I think I’ll go out and take some test shots today and settle it once and for all. Meanwhile you can look at the photo gallery I posted and see what you think, you can click the magnifying glass icon at the top right corner of the pictures to see them bigger.

Also, how old is the lens? Is it USM?

It’s less than a year old, it does have USM and IS. I’ve gotten steady handheld shots with it at 400mm and 1/50, though in practice I’m usually using a monopod and a fast enough shutter to freeze action. Even if your shutter speed is high enough to not need IS, it still helps steady up your viewfinder picture.

PlagiarizeMe
    Participant

Analogy:
    I am interested in your lens….it is the lens I want…

Analogy
    Participant

http://analogy.cupofnoodles.com/100400test.JPG
    http://analogy.cupofnoodles.com/100400test2.JPG

The first one is at 400mm, the second is 100mm. Sorry I couldn’t get the same framing, minimum focus distance is about 6 feet, which is coincidentally exactly how much room I had to do these tests. For comparison, here’s my 35-80 standard lens at 80mm:

http://analogy.cupofnoodles.com/3580test.jpg

After this test I’m reasonably sure that the softness I experienced at the baseball game was the result of a combination of AI servo not hitting focus, high ISO + noise reduction reducing detail, and the lens’ slight decrease in sharpness toward 400mm. The lens is noticeably softer at 400mm, but not enough so to be causing the softness I was seeing.

But anyway, if it looks good to you then let’s do some business. =D Drop me an email at stephan.ahonen@gmail.com.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The topic ‘Rebel XTi- What lens..I read the thread below!:)’ is closed to new replies.