Red light

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks Red light

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    NoticeablyF.A.T.
    Participant

I wanted to get some night shots tonight, but discovered I had lost my red lens cover for my mini mag light. I was alrady going to Walmart for batteries, so I decided to grab a roll of taillight tape. And wouldn’t you know, it works great! A 1.5″ square piece over the light and I’ve got a nice red light.

schnee
    Participant

If you want to permanently mod that mini mag, you can go get a big red LED from Radio Shack and replace the halogen bulb with the LED. You’ll have to open up the reflector of the mag a bit to get the led through (use a small file or something), but the two terminals of the LED go right into the power sockets for the bulb.

I don’t know what the part number is for the LED, but if you bring in the mag light, you can probably figure it out via trial and error (did this one lite? this one? this one? Ah…)

orionid
    Participant

I don’t know what the part number is for the LED, but if you bring in the mag light, you can probably figure it out via trial and error (did this one lite? this one? this one? Ah…)

Make sure you have the LED facing the right way, too. As a diode, it will only flow electrical current in one direction, so if it doesn’t light up on the first try, turn it around.

NoticeablyF.A.T.
    Participant

If you want to permanently mod that mini mag, you can go get a big red LED from Radio Shack and replace the halogen bulb with the LED. You’ll have to open up the reflector of the mag a bit to get the led through (use a small file or something), but the two terminals of the LED go right into the power sockets for the bulb.

What I’d really like it to find the handy little red cover I lost. The red tape was a pretty slick quick fix though. The red LED sounds like good idea though, I might have to pick up another mini mag and put one in it. The red tape was a pretty slick quick fix though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Red light’ is closed to new replies.