Rules Clarification

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Rules Clarification

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

Actually, the channel mixer’s a pretty low level tool. All it does is mix the colors across the entire photo to the level you specify, much like hue and saturation tool. It isn’t a spot treatment, and it makes changes across the entire picture as the rules mention, so it’s within the bounds of the rules as currently written to my understanding.

ok i played around with the channel mixer a bit and my original comment still stands. yes the effects are across the image but by being able to tweak each color you are exerting more creative control than simply sliding the hue control. channels may be low level but hue is even lower. let us aim for the lowest level of image manipulation.

between allowing some pretty minor/typical editing which still lets the photography stand on its own

emphasis added. it only stands on it’s own WITHOUT editing.

i said last time this came up that the equine mistreatment would stop and it will. now. you won’t hear from me again on this subject. those of you who set the site up a year ago came to a consensus on what was allowable. there have been those that bent the rules without asking and those nice enough to ask just what was permissible. it seems a rewrite for clarity is in order and i’ll live with whatever you all decide.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

ok i played around with the channel mixer a bit and my original comment still stands. yes the effects are across the image but by being able to tweak each color you are exerting more creative control than simply sliding the hue control. channels may be low level but hue is even lower. let us aim for the lowest level of image manipulation.

The GIMP’s hue/saturation/lightness tool (which is specifically stated as an allowed tool/modification) allows me to tweak hue, lightness, and saturation levels for 6 colors: Red, Magenta, Blue, Cyan, Green, and Yellow. That’s quite a lot more tweaking and fine tuning than that allowed by the 3 color Red/Green/Blue channel mixer.

/offers the horse a blankie…there there little pony….

anneb
    Participant

So I wasn’t here a year ago when this was discussed, and I know I would probably feel happier with some clarification, with the complexity of some of the tools that are easily available right now. I’m not totally convinced it’s worth losing much sleep over, though.

It’s a photography contest, and not a photoshop contest. But over in the darkroom, we’d be doing a lot more, and not thinking about the appropriateness, just that that’s how it’s done. I’d be doing a half dozen or more test strips, making sure my blacks are black and my whites are white, tossing little pink or yellow contrast filters in to the enlarger, and pushing things around quite a bit. Oh, and I’d probably be dodging or burning, possibly a good deal, to make it look “right.” If I shot color, I’d be playing around to make my whites white, and not pink. And if you asked any one of my instructor-types, they’d say that that’s one of the big differences between photographs and snapshots.

Film or digital, it’s still clearly to my advantage to get as much as I can in-camera before I start, and really, I think you have to- using levels and curves to make whites white, blacks black, and the contrast where you would like it, is pretty self-limiting, just as it is with film. You can only get so much from that before the image starts to degrade, and get harsh and choppy. They don’t hit your eye very comfortably; certainly, they don’t hit mine that way. If it wasn’t there before the push, it won’t likely be there afterwards, either; if the histogram is slammed too far left or right, there’s not that much hope for it.

And you can shoot a technically perfect picture, and still have it as boring as hell. Flip side, a well-composed off the cuff shot with no time to set up right might not look so nice, once it’s pushed so we can see it a bit better. In general, I’d expect neither to be stellar enough to win, but I confess, I’d rather see the second than the first. (OK, that’s not suprising, really, given how I shoot mostly. I do sports/nature/kids, meaning I often dont have the luxury of per-shot setup time. So I usually end up with best camera conditions for a range, not necessarily the one shot, so I have more ability to pay attention to composition and timing.)

Tibbs
    Participant

Hi Schnee and nice to meet you too. Thank you for your input. I found a link to some of the filters I have, for your viewing pleasure, though I can’t find some of the older ones. It shows the effects. I use digi now most all of the time. It’s been awhile since I had used the filters. Miss them! Need to get me another adapter ring! 😉

http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/effects3.htm

http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/filters8.htm

http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/effects4.htm

and the one where you can put people in the pic opposite sides, in different places (though you can’t do it with digital), is on this page with some other cool effects:

http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/speceffects3.htm

I grew up using the 35mm, and having to be creative on those! haha…. 😛

PS–When I joined, I didn’t see where we upload our pics. =

Curious
    Participant

well i may have to eat some humble pie ………. yum pie ………. regarding in camera effects. bought a Samsung D53 for a friend for Christmas. black friday sale at wal-mart, camera and 1 GB SD card for just over a hundred dollars. it is similar in features to this one http://www.samsungcamerausa.com/productdetails.asp?productid=206 which has all sorts of built in filters and effects. see about halfway down the page. the framing effects done in camera would prompt accusations of PS when viewed. the color effects are interesting also.

oh well, we have said many times that the line is getting blurred. seems like it is even more so than i thought.

Happy New Year

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, the Canon A620 I have and the A700 that millera9 has can do color swapping in camera, though it isn’t always perfect. You tell it the color you want to change (say you want to change the color of a blue car), and you tell it what color to change it to (say, red), and it does it in-camera at the time of taking the photo. It can also do the color highlight where the photo is in black and white except for the color you choose. One of millera9‘s shots for the Gas Stations and Pumps theme used the color highlight feature, and he did say pre-emptively that it was done in-camera, though knowing the camera he has I suspected he’d done it that way anyway.

That Samsung really does have a lot of built-in stuff. Are the frames and filters applied at the time of taking the picture, or do you take the picture, then apply it through what amounts to in-camera post-processing? Boy, this line is getting blurry….

Curious
    Participant

That Samsung really does have a lot of built-in stuff. Are the frames and filters applied at the time of taking the picture, or do you take the picture, then apply it through what amounts to in-camera post-processing?

that particular camera shows the finished exposure in the LCD prior to shutter release. for instance if you pick the car shaped frame that is displayed, then you frame/compose the subject within it. see the example on their site. also note that frame is solid therefore masking out all else. when playing with the color effects i found the “red” filter really warmed up certain shots, especially those shot with flash. for someone like my friend who does almost no post processing it really adds a lot of creatively.

of course since it replaced this http://www.davesweblife.com/images/stuff%20for%20friends/gifts-08.jpg it’s no surprise that it has more features. the sad/strange/maybe not surprising thing is that HP215 with a 4MB card was $3.00 more than the D53 when bought on sale about 4 1/2 years ago.

and yes, the more she used the new one the more excited she got. she knew the HP was limited but hadn’t wanted to upgrade. it had been “good enough”. i’m thinking she’ll get a little more use from this one.

anneb
    Participant

well i may have to eat some humble pie ………. yum pie ………. regarding in camera effects. bought a Samsung D53 for a friend for Christmas.

Agreed. Mmmmmmm, pie!

black friday sale at wal-mart, camera and 1 GB SD card for just over a hundred dollars. it is similar in features to this one http://www.samsungcamerausa.com/productdetails.asp?productid=206 which has all sorts of built in filters and effects. see about halfway down the page. the framing effects done in camera would prompt accusations of PS when viewed. the color effects are interesting also.

oh well, we have said many times that the line is getting blurred. seems like it is even more so than i thought.

Happy New Year

(bold emphasis mine –anneb)

Good GRIEF! The scrapbookers have moved the war from the album directly on to the camera ITSELF!

There are just some people I’m going to have to hide from forever, should they get their hands on something like that!

Curious
    Participant

i was told i can’t take it back 🙂 it’s turning out to be one of the most successful gifts i’ve given.

monkeybort
    Participant

i’m with anneb on this one – good grief, indeed! those frame effects are…….just…..wow. 😯

that said, there’s some good stuff there too – the bracketing could come in handy and i’ll bet the picture modes are helpful as well.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol yes, those frames do scream “scrapbookers” don’t they? 😆

cretinbob
    Participant

wow search helped me answer my questions without starting a new thread :mrgreen:

Scans are acceptable too aren’t they? I’ve got some old gelatin prints, and may go back to doing some film work in the future.

//screw overmanipulation, Uelsmann was cool, but you aren’t him.

monkeybort
    Participant

yup, scans are acceptable as long as you follow the same sort of rules once they’re scanned – no heavy manipulation, etc etc.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Scans are just fine 🙂 And you can even clean up the dust/scratches from film scans, and that’s in keeping with the rules. The rules were just recently clarified a little, so you can find the current official list by clicking on the rules list up top on the left.

/huzzah for search!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The topic ‘Rules Clarification’ is closed to new replies.