selective color noise reduction

Forums Forums Get Technical Farktography tech talk selective color noise reduction

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

Hey there.

One of the things I’ve noticed about my camera is that when I get the exposure a little wrong and try to correct in RAW processing, I get a lot of color noise. This image for instance,

has a lot more to me magenta/pink/reddish noise than I would like in the sky and the ice, but I can’t figure out the most effective way to get rid of it. Anybody want to take a stab at it or share what they would do? When I try to select the color and then desaturate it, it looks all wonky, and adjustment layers are something that I’m still trying to figure out.

Thanks!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Noise ninja or neatimage? I think one or both of them have free trials and/or free low end version. One of them comes with Bibble and it’s pretty effective (can’t remember which one it is, but i’ve heard good things about both, so there’s that). A lot of the noise reduction stuff can be tailored to the color noise you’re getting.

soosh
    Participant

I’ll check those out. The built-in reduction in Canon’s DPP and what I can find in PS CS2 are worthless, at least as far as I’ve been able to utilize them.

sleeping
    Participant

Here’s what NeatImage does with it (the default settings, no tweaking from me at all) I use it quite a bit for high-iso shots

Flavivirus
    Participant

Noise Ninja, original resolution (resizing downward would give the appearance of more detail, but any noise removal is hard on detail)

The other strategy I use is to place a noise-reduced image on top of an original, and gradient mask to the area that I see are the worst spots. This keeps detail where its needed, and noise is removed from where it isn’t.

[url]http:/www.flavivirus.net/fark/noise.jpg[/url]

Flavivirus
    Participant

dunno why it didn’t like that. i guess you have to copy and paste it? odd.

soosh
    Participant

dunno why it didn’t like that. i guess you have to copy and paste it? odd.

I think you need a .htaccess file in the fark directory. I can’t even go there directly.

soosh
    Participant

Here’s what NeatImage does with it (the default settings, no tweaking from me at all) I use it quite a bit for high-iso shots

Damn. That’s dramatic. I last tried NeatImage about five years ago and it was nowhere near that good. Thanks!

sleeping
    Participant

Damn. That’s dramatic. I last tried NeatImage about five years ago and it was nowhere near that good. Thanks!

It doesn’t work so well for everything, especially if there’s a lot of fine detail you don’t want to lose, but I’ve found it pretty useful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘selective color noise reduction’ is closed to new replies.