Shooting in the rain

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks Shooting in the rain

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    aesoprock-00
    Participant

Hey guys! just have a quick question for the pros, as well as the amateurs around here. up until this year i had been doing most of my photography with point and shoot cameras, but this year i finally got my act together and bought a Nikon D60 and a couple of lenses, i want to take my hobby a bit more seriously, not professional, just better personally.

my question is this, what do you do to protect your camera/glass when it rains? i’ve read online some people have some interesting tecniques with plastic bags and shower caps, just curious what you guys do in rainy situations. and also, what changes to your settings do you make for filming in rainy conditions?

i ask, mainly because i’ll be going to a big music festival for 4 days next weekend, and we’ll be camping in the woods. there’s a ridiculous amount of music, but most years it rains at least one or more days. how should i adjust for the rain, not only in camera settings, but also in wet/rain gear to keep my equipment dry?

Thanks!

sleeping
    Participant

There are much more expensive solutions, but I’ve used a very cheap optech rain sleeve in bad conditions a few times and they seem to work OK, but I wouldn’t want to use one in a torrential downpour.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469774-REG/Op_Tech_USA_9001132__8_RainSleeve_for_Camera.html

A decent and large microfiber cloth also helps for getting rain of the front of your lens etc.

Try not to put gear away wet if at all possible, as that’s a recipe for fungus in lenses etc.

A waterproof storage case would also be good, something like a pelican, and I’d probably toss a bunch of silica gel packets inside to help with humidity/wet conditions. I sometimes keep mine inside a cheap gym bag that doesn’t scream “expensive equipment”.

Snug Tight
    Participant

I haven’t shot in the rain much, but when I did I cut the corner off of a gallon size zip lock bag. Then I stuck the lens thru the hole I cut and used a rubberband to hold the bag to the barrel of the lens. I then keep the zip lock part below the camera so the rain runs off it, and put my hand in so the camera and hand are inside the bag. If that makes any sense. I also keep my Guiness beer towel in my camera bag to wipe things off. As far as settings, I think that will depend on amount of light, amount of rain, equipment, etc. That is the good thing about digital, keep shooting and changing settings.

3Horn
    Participant

There are much more expensive solutions, but I’ve used a very cheap optech rain sleeve in bad conditions a few times and they seem to work OK, but I wouldn’t want to use one in a torrential downpour.

I agree about the OpTech sleeves, they come in flat-packs of two, and don’t really take up any room in your bag. For 6 or 7 dollars, it’s cheap insurance.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Shooting in the rain’ is closed to new replies.