Shot On Film

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Shot On Film

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

Here are few from my first endeavor into home developing:

(Shot on my Yashica Mat-124G

(Shot on Canon AE-1)

Link to the Set:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/sets/72157625350792626/

This wasn’t about breaking new ground, or even shooting super shots, just getting the feel for the process after 23 years out of a darkroom. The smell of the Fixer brought back awesome memories, mostly about making out with Janette Brown in the darkroom… 😆

orionid
    Participant

Awesome stuff! I like this one. The clouding seems to add something to the photo.

ravnostic
    Participant
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Looks great. Good job scanning them, also.

I’ve never really had much of an interest in developing myself, but I can certainly understand the coolness of producing your own prints and having more artistic control over the final product.

lokisbong
    Participant

Very nice. Never had the chance to try film. well I bought a cheap 35mm camera but it busted before I even put one roll through it. Not the first time I ever dropped a camera but it was so cheap it exploded all over the floor.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Awesome stuff! I like this one. The clouding seems to add something to the photo.

The clouding (I think it came from a wrinkle on the reel) does make it “ghostly”, it works well given the theme of the photo. It is the reason I kept it when I chucked others with developing defects.

I scanned the film in the auto mode on my scanner which defaults to a color scan rather than greyscale. Most of the shots I switched to grayscale in Lightroom rather than keep the faint hue of the color scan like this one:

The effect is almost a sepia tone which I am not sure I like. I think I should monitor my water temp a bit better and maybe a minute longer in the Fixer.

orionid
    Participant

The clouding (I think it came from a wrinkle on the reel) does make it “ghostly”, it works well given the theme of the photo. It is the reason I kept it when I chucked others with developing defects.

I was going to ask if it was near the end of the roll. I’ve had similar effects/issues with 120 where the end of the roll collapses in on the next layer, and doesn’t let the developer evenly coat part of that layer. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m planning on rolling my next roll in the opposite direction, so that it should curve out instead of in.

linguine
    Participant

Cool shots, you and orionid are making me wish I had room or time for playing around in a darkroom again.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Cool shots, you and orionid are making me wish I had room or time for playing around in a darkroom again.

Space wasn’t to bad, just the tanks and a closet to hang my film in. Cost wise, the scanner was the only thing that set me back a large chunk of change, the actual tanks, bags, chemicals all came in under $50. The film ran that up, but I am going to do bulk in the future.

Time, well that is the hard part. While it was the first time in over 20 years, I was still over two hours developing two rolls. Of course, most of that time was spent with my hands in a dark bag dredging up new profanities while trying to get film on the reel.

aprillove20
    Participant

amazing shot…..

i really like it. how i wish i know how to make it.
    it’s really a wonderful idea of your with fascinating effect.

aprillove20
    Participant

Well, the smell of the Fixer brought back awesome memories.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Shot On Film’ is closed to new replies.