Sigma 200mm Tele-macro fitted for Pentax, adapted to Nikon

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Sigma 200mm Tele-macro fitted for Pentax, adapted to Nikon

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

Photos from my first day out with my old Pentax PK Mount Sigma 200mm Tele-macro, now that it’s been adapted for my nikons (original thread here). Click on any of them for Flickr.

(This one really needs to be seen full size. Look at his eyes!

ravnostic
    Participant

Very nice; impressive DOF for a macro.

lokisbong
    Participant

That dragon fly is awesome! very cool

orionid
    Participant

Thanks guys.

And ravnostic, I got the DoF from shooting at f/11 with a flash.

ravnostic
    Participant

And ravnostic, I got the DoF from shooting at f/11 with a flash.

Thanks for the tip!

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Ooooh. Very nice man!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Very nice! Was your flash off camera?

LeicaLens
    Participant

I love the first one in particular, very nice.
    I was following your lens conversion story, and even had a look in the junk section of some secondhand camera stores around me to see if it was possible.
    Without proper tools, the mount conversion seemed very difficult, but I would say you have done a stellar job. Fantastic image quality and DOF.

Kestrana
    Participant

We were not using off camera flash, just in camera.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Wow! On board, or flash unit?

orionid
    Participant

On board. I started at wide-open (f/3.5), and thought it was way too soft. There wasn’t a crisp line to be had anywhere. After I cranked up to f/11, I knew I wouldn’t be able to support a shutter speed to get any sort of decent shot without a tripod, and there was enough wind that day that even the flowers were moving targets, so a tripod would have been moot anyway. So I put the flash on manual 1/8 (since nikon’s ttl doesn’t work with non-metering lenses) got an okay reslut, but was still worried about motion between being hand-held and windy. I then put the flash at full power, and the shutter at 1/200, and liked the results. So, I left it like that. The flash at full power was also bright enough to help negate the effects of the sun. Out of the photos above, the housefly taken under full, thick forest canopy. The bullfrog was at a shady edge of a pond, the bumblebee in urban shade (2-3 story buildings and sparse trees) and the dragonfly and beetles in full midday sun.

Does this make me think it’s okay just keep using onboard flash? Sure, for the time being. But now, more than ever, I want a ringlight (short of doing this, which has been pointed out already as looking like something I would do). Or a dual flash like that guy with the crazy macro had. I’ve already got ideas bouncing in my head about grabbing a cheapo, secondhand non-ttl flash unit, ripping out the single strobe, running some wires, a clamp, and two strobes from disposable cameras to do the same thing in a more, ummm, budget-engineered manner.

staplermofo
    Participant

Oh, it’s doable.

orionid
    Participant

Very nice….. Hmmm….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Sigma 200mm Tele-macro fitted for Pentax, adapted to Nikon’ is closed to new replies.