Size limitations

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks Size limitations

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

Ok, ok, I’m lazy.. I didn’t use the search button…

Can anyone tell me what the size specifications for a farktography contest are? Sometimes I can resize my pics to 45% and they will post, other times I must go as small as 25-30%, otherwise I get the wonderfully informative *BOOM your pics are too big dumbass… message… so, what is the max. size H x W, and weight?

THANKS!!!!

swampa
    Participant

200Kb is the maximum file size and I know the width is now 640px at the most. I’m not sure if the height has changed but from memory it used to be a maximum of 1200px (not that using 1200px is any good as a lot of it will be off peoples screens anyway).

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

Thanks.. Does anyone have an “optimal” size that they usually go with?

swampa
    Participant

I tend to do all mine at 80% quality so they end up coming in at around 130Kb.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

swampa‘s right about the 200k file size limit and 640 pixels wide. The height limit is now 1100 pixels.

Just as a note, however, Farktography has always listed 50k-70k max file size in the rules as a way to limit the total bandwidth usage of the thread. Sometimes this means posting a smaller physical size with a link to a larger size. This isn’t to say that you’ll be dinged for posting a 130k image since Fark’s limit is higher (and 50k really is limiting), but please do consider your file size with respect to the entire thread. I typically aim for 75k max (GIMP let’s me preview the compression/file size results before I save, so that makes it easy), though I’ve submitted 80k-90k images on photos with lots of foliage or intricate details that can’t compress as easily and/or look like crap when they are.

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

Sweet.. thanks for the help! I have GIMP, but I really haven’t used it all that much because of the 3 windows that it opens in… (which seems very strange to me) I think I should beable to manage with photoshop.. actually, my favorite resizing program is PAINT… I think I probably have a lot of quality loss, but for the ‘display’ image, it doesn’t matter… I always link to the bigger image (when I remember).

Again, thanks for the helps.

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

Sweet.. thanks for the help! I have GIMP, but I really haven’t used it all that much because of the 3 windows that it opens in… (which seems very strange to me) I think I should beable to manage with photoshop.. actually, my favorite resizing program is PAINT… I think I probably have a lot of quality loss, but for the ‘display’ image, it doesn’t matter… I always link to the bigger image (when I remember).

Again, thanks for the helps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Size limitations’ is closed to new replies.