Size reduction without quality loss?

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks Size reduction without quality loss?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kmmontandon
    Participant

So, I’ve got a 644×521 picture that somehow manages to be 354K.

This is obviously far, far too big to post on TF, so … how do I reduce size without dramatically reducing quality? I can’t crop it any more.

Using Photoshop CS2.

Analogy
    Participant

Reduce your JPG quality. You don’t have to set it to 100%, and it doesn’t have to look pixel perfect. Set your JPG quality just above the point where the picture starts looking bad.

swampa
    Participant

Or at least until the size is under 200Kb.

anneb
    Participant

If you’re not doing so already, “Save for Web” likewise makes a smaller footprint, at the expense of some EXIF info, that might help significantly.

I don’t like giving up the EXIF, so I solve the problem by putting my pix up on flickr, and then making a smaller inline image that links back to the image page, as found on the “show all sizes” link for my pix. With flickr’s TOS, you don’t have a huge amount of leeway for link creativity, but it they give you lots of sizes with the inline code already there. When it comes to getting my entries up, I’m lazy.

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

I do a similar thing with photobucket.. I shrink the pic so it fits on fark, then make the pic link to the original size on my hosting site.

Good luck.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Size reduction without quality loss?’ is closed to new replies.