Slightly off topic, Which spotting Scope?

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Slightly off topic, Which spotting Scope?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    stupido
    Participant

Well sold my 4 1/2 inch reflector. Now to replace it. I have been looking at Schmidt-Cassegrain/Maksutov Cassegrain but then I found a 102mm refractor with build in T-threads.

http://www.celestron.com/c2/product.php?CatID=30&ProdID=206
    It goes for about $200 at BH and Adorama.

Basically a F5 500mm focal length lens. I had been looking at F10-11 1000mm focal length Masutovs/Cassigrains.

Given the nasty boken of the mirror lense, I am leaning toward the refractor. I would use the lens mainly as a spotting scope and long lens for my cameras. Ocasionally I would would it for astronomy.

Any comments, suggestions etc?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I don’t know much about spotting scopes, but I’d definitely avoid anything with a mirror. But then I like using shallow dof and I’m really into soft bokeh.

schnee
    Participant

I have an old Televue Pronto (discontinued now) which makes a fine spotting scope / 480mm f6.8 telephoto (it’s also a very nice astronomy scope).

It is a bit heavy (solid metal OTA) and for serious photographic work, I’d probably get the field flattener. It requires a decent tripod and head.

stupido
    Participant

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Celestron spotting scope. I will let everyone know how it turns out. Another reason for getting a big lens is I have a photosniper which I used to love to use but it attracted way too much attention and with today’s climate, I did not feel it would be worth adapting to my DSLR

stupido
    Participant

OK, what am I doing wrong? The pics won’t display

RcMacStudent
    Participant

it’s that little ?v=0 tag after the .jpg, I just tried it in the scratchpad and without that it works fine.

stupido
    Participant

it’s that little ?v=0 tag after the .jpg, I just tried it in the scratchpad and without that it works fine.

Cool, thanks. Not sure why Flickr puts the ?v=0 in the URL

millera9
    Participant

That first moon pic is really awesome stupido!

And welcome to the forums RcMacStudent. Always nice to see new people around here. 🙂

stupido
    Participant

millera9,

cool, glad you liked. it has been a learning experience. the full moon is from my first attempt. a tad out of focus and needed maybe an additional stop. the partial is from Saturday. I spent about an hour trying an eyepiece projection photography of Saturn and gave up and went for the moon. I need to get a better tripod. The current one is out of the trash from work. I am working on making one out of home made wood legs and a top section from work.

Morningbreath
    Participant

I just ordered an adapter for my spotting scope, I have the t-mount. I hope to have some moon and bird shots in a couple weeks.

RcMacStudent
    Participant

millera9,
    I’m glad to help where I can. I’m fairly new to photography so I’m learning as I go…
    I posted my boobies in this last weeks contest and got more votes than I expected so I’m happy.
    The forums definately seem like a good place to hang around and learn from the experts – so I’ll be around.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Slightly off topic, Which spotting Scope?’ is closed to new replies.