SLR camera help and advice please

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware SLR camera help and advice please

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    sleeping
    Participant

I’ve got to say, shooting film is…well, hell, it’s special. It takes time, patience, practice.

It *can* be that way, but it doesn’t have to be – there are all kinds of film cameras that have a lot of the advanced functions you’d get on a DSLR (and you can get them very cheaply these days). With a decent AF body and a motor drive you can blow through a 36 exposure roll in a minute or two quite easily if you stop paying attention to what each frame costs…

Curious
    Participant

I’ve got to say, shooting film is…well, hell, it’s special. It takes time, patience, practice.

It *can* be that way, but it doesn’t have to be – there are all kinds of film cameras that have a lot of the advanced functions you’d get on a DSLR (and you can get them very cheaply these days). With a decent AF body and a motor drive you can blow through a 36 exposure roll in a minute or two quite easily if you stop paying attention to what each frame costs…

you’re right that you can waste film fast with the right equipment but the folks i saw that did that were shooting sports or “pros” that thought a dozen fast shots would impress the client and with luck they would get a keeper from it.

when i used a winder the main benefit was being able to keep my eye to the eyepiece. it sure didn’t make my shots any better 🙂

orionid
    Participant

I have the opposite problem at the moment. I’m still shooting my kodachrome more like film and less like a time-limited commodity.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Ok, the further adventures of my new camera.

I just got back from the camera store and they suggested that I try shooting a roll of film first. So I now have a new battery and a roll of B&W film to play with. Apparently they should be able to tell if there is light leakage by that.

I also asked about getting it fixed. It will cost $40 for an estimate (for shipping and handling) and take about a week, then the time for repairs. Hopefully I can hold off until the new year, I’d like to take it to my in-laws for the holidays.

The did say that the mechanics of the camera are sound.

ennuipoet
    Participant

The K1000’s are built like tanks, I would be surprised there ARE light leaks. I beat mine to hell before it disappeared and it still took great shots. When my folks gave me their old Canon AE1 which I am shooting on now, I had to have the shutter repaired, they tend to stick as they get old. It cost 80 bucks here in NYC. To tell the truth if the camera didn’t have such sentimental value I probably wouldn’t have paid that since you buy another less than that. That being said, since it is an “heirloom” camera, I am guessing you will pay what it takes if it needs fixing. Good advice from the camera people though, shooting a test roll. The nice thing about old cameras and repair places, they tend to be straight up with you. I got a free clean at B&H a few weeks ago just by having my Yashica with me when I went it. The guys in film started looking at it, called down the repair guy because he’s a fan of old TLR’s, he cleaned the lens and blew dust out just for letting him look at it.

Speaking of old cameras, I just bought a Petri 7 (http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Petri_7s) rangefinder with accessories on ebay for 20 bucks. I am hoping to run some rolls through it before Christmas.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I just got back from the camera store and they suggested that I try shooting a roll of film first. So I now have a new battery and a roll of B&W film to play with. Apparently they should be able to tell if there is light leakage by that.

I also asked about getting it fixed. It will cost $40 for an estimate (for shipping and handling) and take about a week, then the time for repairs. Hopefully I can hold off until the new year, I’d like to take it to my in-laws for the holidays.

Repairs can be quite expensive, though I can’t speak for US prices. I have had a couple of repairs done to my film cameras and lenses, and they both cost around 12000 yen including shipping ($150+?). I just sent my favourite film camera, an Olympus OM4Ti, in because the meter is knackered, and the repairs will cost around $100. Less than buying a new one, but still a bit of a hit.
    One advantage of the old cameras is that as they were largely mechanical they are easier to repair than modern digital models. However, if your camera needs replacement parts, then you may be out of luck (the people at the repair shop said they had no more spare parts for the OM4Ti if it broke down in future).

ennuipoet
    Like the Petri. Does the selenium light meter still work?

Curious
    Participant

be sure and let the sunlight fall on the spot you think may have a leak. i had an old cheap twin lens reflex that would occasionally show a triangular leak in one corner of the frame. it was only after i had it fixed and knew where the leak had been that i realized why the light damage wasn’t consistent.

re repairs i took my XD-11 to an authorized minolta shop many years ago and they wanted $100 just to clean it. it still hasn’t been cleaned.

ennuipoet while i wouldn’t want to live in NY there are advantages to big city living. OTOH having B&H within walking distance could be a problem 🙂

ennuipoet
    Participant

ennuipoet
    Like the Petri. Does the selenium light meter still work?

The listing says the LM works, we shall see. Truth is, I bought it on bet that it would work, if it doesn’t I’m not out any real money.

Curious, it is some much worse than that, I’ve got more really good camera stores than you can shake a stick at! Unless I actually need something, I don’t go. It is too much like a strip club, go in, get all excited, leave with nothing.

Curious
    Participant

it’s funny (in the peculiar way not ha ha) how that goes. in austin there were plenty of camera stores and repair places. here in the greater new orleans area not so much. in fact even pre katrina the choices sort to sucked. now a few stand alone stores, a local chain and a couple of nation chains have stores here but there is nothing like b&h, adorama, 47th st, etc. and from the little i’ve seen of the camera stores here if you want lighting equipment or stuff like that you have to ask, there is none on display. economically it makes sense but it’s sort of sad.

sleeping
    Participant

You can actually get pre-cut foam for a lot of cameras’ light seals on ebay, too, if you want to think about doing the job yourself. The hardest part is often removing the remains of the old gummed up foam (it does depend on the exact camera model, though, some have little tricky bits)

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I was finally able to get out and take some pictures with this this camera. It does take some getting used to for sure. While out two people stopped to talk to me about the camera, that was kind of fun. Once I’ve finished the roll of film I’ll post the results here.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I finally had time to make it though the roll of film and take it in to be devveloped…..The roll of film was blank. The camera needs repairs. I think there is something wrong with the film advancer thingy, but I’ll have to wait on repairs as money is kinda tight right now.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The topic ‘SLR camera help and advice please’ is closed to new replies.