Some old photos (1940s)

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Some old photos (1940s)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sleeping
    Participant

So, my dad sent me a whole bunch of old medium format negatives from my grandparents with the intent that I would digitize them. I didn’t really want to scan them, as there are quite a lot and it would take forever, so I’ve come up with something quite a bit faster that still gives more or less decent results:

Basically it’s a box with a negative carrier taped to it, and inside the box is my tablet providing a backlight to illuminate the film. Up top is my NEX5n on a small tripod.

It works OK, the photos are certainly viewable (also, these weren’t shot with a Hasselblad or anything, the negs aren’t super sharp)

_DSC0978

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Good job; you’re right, they did turn out decently (given the apparent source quality). That’s gotta be much faster than scanning. That’s cool that you’ve got photos from your grandparents’ earlier lives; I’ve got a few of mine but not many. Did you do anything specific to tweak the color of the backlight on the tablet?

I’ve got bunches of old photos I need to digitize as well at some point. It’s a matter of making time to do it, but the longer I wait, the more they seem to deteriorize/fade so I keep telling myself I need to get to it.

// FYI, the link that is your setup goes to a Yahoo signin page. The link to the scanned photos works though.

chupathingie
    Participant

Very cool macguyver. Looks like it worked very well!

And yup… permissions on your source image, maybe? set to private?

sleeping
    Participant

Did you do anything specific to tweak the color of the backlight on the tablet?

It’s running a flashlight app so it’s more or less white. I batch converted the results to BW so there were no color artifacts, though.

FYI, the link that is your setup goes to a Yahoo signin page

Fixed, but there’s not much more to see there.

lokisbong
    Participant

It sure is neat to see old photos like those. It’s a shame they were not sharper but no complaint. They look like a happy couple.

fluffybunny
    Participant

At one point I tried my 7d in a scanner function similar to this idea but for OCR’ing books. It worked reasonably well. I imagine CISS’ 5DIII would be fantastic in roles such as these.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Some old photos (1940s)’ is closed to new replies.