Summer of baseball

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Summer of baseball

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I’ve been shooting a lot of baseball so far this season, partially to get better at shooting sports and partially to get out of the house regularly. This is the ‘local’ amateur team; the Toronto Maple Leafs (yes the same name and the hockey team) it’s mostly college kids and guys who are good, but have day jobs.

I’m shooting with a Nikon D7100, with a 70-200 f2.8.

Anyways, I’m looking for feedback on how I can take better shots, or how I can improve my post production. Here is a sampling of this years photos and some galleries.

Benjamin Bostick out at second by Craig in TO, on Flickr

Nate De Souza broken bat by Craig in TO, on Flickr

Grant Tamane strike by Craig in TO, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/gp/21883298@N08/8Rqa6h

Grant Tamane diving back to 2nd by Craig in TO, on Flickr

Jonathan Solazzo at bat by Craig in TO, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/gp/21883298@N08/x22fTS

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Those all look pretty good to me, Pope! Excellent sense of action and you’ve got the ball in frame for most shots.

The only suggestion I’d offer is perhaps an occasional tighter zoom/crop to see the concentration/effort on the faces of the players (or even focus on just a single player in the middle of the action). I think a couple of those kinds of shots thrown in with the rest of the overall action shots helps to make it a more “personal” viewing experience.

The broken bat shot perhaps could be a little more tightly cropped to force focus onto the broken bat. I didn’t notice the flying piece of broken bat until a second or third viewing (at least at this resolution – it’s pretty obvious at full size, which brings up the point that some of this depends on your intended print/viewing size).

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

CISS, thanks.

The tighter zoom on the face my be difficult with the equipment I have, but I’ll try that and isolating a player in the action.

As for the broken bat shot, I’ve recropped it. You’re right it looks better tighter.

Nate De Souza broken bat (recropped) by Craig in TO, on Flickr

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Oh yeah, absolutely. There’s no question what’s going on now and you can better see his expression as well. Great job.

caradoc
    Participant

Nice work!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Summer of baseball’ is closed to new replies.