Sunrise in Baltimore.

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Sunrise in Baltimore.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Killerclaw
    Participant

Cloud cover wasn’t great so I ended up looking at stuff on the ground and played with exposure.

Comments appreciated!

The last farms in Perry Hall.

😀

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Wow…very pretty

jpatten
    Participant

I like these

linguine
    Participant

nice shots, I really like the 6th one a lot

Killerclaw
    Participant

I appreciate the praise, I don’t consider myself anywhere near as good as you all, so it means a lot.

Killerclaw
    Participant

I know this will seem over done and somewhat pointless, but I want to convey how much emotion these pictures represent. So if you have a few moments I’d appreciate if you read.

As I sat on that hill, in the wheat and looked east to the bay and the Gunpowder river miles away I was struck by a feeling I normally only get when I find a bit of solitude in a national park: an overwhelming calm, a feeling that all is right. It was 6 am, I was alone and the weather perfect. If I could sit there forever and freeze time I would have. As the sun rose the warmth washed over me I saw people in the distance drive to work, and even though I am frequently stressed about college I had a moment where I felt not a care in the world. Unfortunately my hill in the back of my great uncles farm , the highest point from there to the ocean, will not remain forever.

I’m deeply saddened by the loss of my area’s farm community to development. Once the entire town was a 1,000 acre plantation, once known as “the Adventure” and renamed Perry Hall Manor. After slavery was abolished the property was divided and sold to German immigrants who kept farming it, several of these plots owned by my mother’s side of the family. Much of the area was German, so they renamed the town German Town. There where only a few then…..now there are almost 50,000 in the area… 5 small farms remain… totaling maybe 150 acres…4 are commercial, the other 1, mine(ok my parents) is cultivated more as a hobby. Two of the other’s belong to two of my uncles, and they will become houses when they die leaving me and a senator’s families farm as all that’s left. That housing boom 5 years ago finished off(all the online map sites still show a bunch of tiny farms), there was at least 20 small farms left then…

My hill being encroached upon by a development:http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=qk402g8mv6rt&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=7142255&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Killerclaw
    Participant

Some views from my hill:

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s sad about the development, Killerclaw. And of course, it’s happening everywhere. The land my house sits on was a farm plot not that long ago, though luckily when they developed it, they made lots that were all at least nearly an acre and some as much as 3 acres, so you still see a lot of green.

You can definitely see your sense of peace in the first set of photos. Btw, that last shot of the thistles would make for a nice entry for the Bokeh theme.

Killerclaw
    Participant

That’s a lot more reasonable then here where they do 5 to an acre

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Sunrise in Baltimore.’ is closed to new replies.