Superwide

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Superwide

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    fluffybunny
    Participant

Anybody use a superwide zoom on a crop sensor? I am thinking I want one in the future and am considering the Tokina 11-16, Canon 10-22 and Sigma 8-16. As usual there are a lot of technical, fanboi and general reviews of them all around the internets but I would like to hear what ya’ll have to say.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’ve got the Canon 10-22 on an EOS 30D. I’ve found that I don’t use it that much, but I’ve been fairly pleased with the shots I have taken with it. Anything in particular you want to know about it? I can post a couple of sample shots if that’d help.

fluffybunny
    Participant

CISS,

Thanks for the reply. I’m looking for something I can use for architecture, landscape and sometime indoors. I have been many times and will go back to the desert southwest, and with my current widest lens (Tamron 17-50) I really liked what I could do at the 17mm end. Occasionally I’ll be inside somewhere that I want to capture more of but can’t. I did some work inside an old stone building atrium and I just couldn’t get the framing I wanted to capture the spirit of the place. Great lighting, texture and so on. I had a sad. I even tried my Kenko 180 fisheye but it didn’t get me there.

Kind of a run on, hope I am communicating effectively.

Sample shots would be great. Why do you think it does not get much use in your kit?
    Do you find the f3.5 to be a significant limitation? Hand hold or tripod?

sleeping
    Participant

I used the Tokina 12-24mm quite a lot on DX. I preferred it over some of the wider options, because 24mm vs 16mm on the wide end meant I could carry that, plus a 35/1.8 and a tele zoom (50-135mm usually) and ditch a standard zoom altogether. I didn’t find 12mm on the wide end (or F4) particularly limiting, but YMMV….

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=12-24mm&w=74356260%40N00&s=int&z=e

fluffybunny
    Participant

I used the Tokina 12-24mm quite a lot on DX. I preferred it over some of the wider options, because 24mm vs 16mm on the wide end meant I could carry that, plus a 35/1.8 and a tele zoom (50-135mm usually) and ditch a standard zoom altogether. I didn’t find 12mm on the wide end (or F4) particularly limiting, but YMMV….

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=12-24mm&w=74356260%40N00&s=int&z=e

Since I have zero experience with this range of FLs I am leaning towards less is better, and the 12 seems like it might be too high. I just don’t know. I am happy with the 17-50 I have so my thinking is something that dives deep (11mm or less on the wide end).

On an unrelated note from your photos, I would also like to make it down to the Hamilton pool someday, heard and seen some stuff about it only.

orionid
    Participant

It’s not a zoom, but if it’s wide you want, these sell used for about $36,000. I’ve heard that if you connect it to full-frame, it actually warps the space-time continuum.

/Edited because I missed a VERY significant digit (the 3).

fluffybunny
    Participant

It’s not a zoom, but if it’s wide you want, these sell used for about $6000. I’ve heard that if you connect it to full-frame, it actually warps the space-time continuum.

That thing has the diameter of my Celestron SCT.
    I’d buy it but I can’t find a place that will sell me a UV filter for the front of it.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Why do you think it does not get much use in your kit?

It doesn’t get used much mostly due to lazyness and bad timing. Lazyness because oftentimes I don’t feel like hauling the whole backpack around, so I just take my camera and walkaround lens, the 24-70mm f/2.8 L. Bad timing ensues from that because many times while out I find that I wished I had it with me.

Do you find the f3.5 to be a significant limitation? Hand hold or tripod?

I haven’t found the f/3.5 or even 4.5 on the narrower end to be a problem, but I haven’t taken any indoor shots with it either. I’ve used it both handheld and with tripod, but only outdoors. Since it doesn’t have IS, I could see wishing for a wider aperature if I tried to use it in ambient light indoors.

Sample shots would be great.

Here’s a series of late evening shots on tripod at Steamboat:

I had the 16mm version printed at 24×30 and I’m pretty pleased with it.

Here’s a series outdoors in sunlight at an airshow. These are all straight out of the camera:

The first two show the full zoom range of the lens. The last one shows why it’s a pretty handy lens in places like this (hard to get the whole plane in one shot otherwise).

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Just got this in my inbox from B&H: Wide and Extreme Wide-Angle Lens Roundup. Doesn’t cover specifics much, but it does at least let you know what your choices are.

sleeping
    Participant

Hmm, that list is actually missing a bunch of options (Tokina 11-16mm and 16-24mm, Rokinon 14mm, zeiss 18 and 21mm all spring to mind) and has some mistakes (sigma 17-70 isn’t full frame)

fluffybunny
    Participant

I’m kind of leaning towards Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6. It seems to be somewhat comparable to the 10-22 Canon (no flame war intended) but for about $300 less (new or used $). I only have one piece of L glass and I love it (70-200 f4) but alas I have been characterized as “cheap” (I prefer smart with money).

I am still throwing around the idea of the Sigma 8-16, but have trouble giving $200 for that extra 13 degree FOV.

All that said, I am still early in the decision process and I tend to follow a sinusoidal decay curve during deliberations such as this.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Superwide’ is closed to new replies.