Sweet mother Mary and Joseph!

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Sweet mother Mary and Joseph!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant
    ennuipoet
    Participant

I read about that a while back, you’re mad, I tell you, mad!

But I suspect we will be seeing 800mm shots in a few months.

chupathingie
    Participant

FTA: “However, when Tony took the lens apart he discovered that none of the elements were cemented but strangely, the separate elements were coated in oil.”

Amateur astronomers the world over are wailing and gnashing teeth over ruining an oil-spaced triplet… what once likely performed as an APO is now more akin to an achromat. Other than that, this is a cool project…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Now didn’t you say you already had a heavy long lens that you hadn’t yet found the need to use?

I can certainly understand wanting to build one just for the coolness factor of the build itself, but I’m having a hard time coming up with anything other than possibly astrophotography that I’d feel strongly enough about photographing to want to haul 59 lbs of lens plus whatever the hefty tripods weigh to do so. Or at least not many things that I couldn’t just move closer to and use a lighter and shorter lens.

orionid
    Participant

Now didn’t you say you already had a heavy long lens that you hadn’t yet found the need to use?

I can certainly understand wanting to build one just for the coolness factor of the build itself, but I’m having a hard time coming up with anything other than possibly astrophotography that I’d feel strongly enough about photographing to want to haul 59 lbs of lens plus whatever the hefty tripods weigh to do so. Or at least not many things that I couldn’t just move closer to and use a lighter and shorter lens.

Yeah, it actually falls under the ludicrous category, and probably won’t get done. I just wanted to share the build article with everyone else. Now, if I still had my old steel-grey blazer or my blue ford diesel, I’d strongly consider pintle-mounting it and making a “gunners chair” in the back.

ravnostic
    Participant

Funny–my telescope weighs in about about 60lb, plus 30 for the mount. Cost a *bit* more, though. And I’ve been meaning to figure out some uses for it besides the stars–issues come into play with travel and such. BTW, wedge mount is only 20 days away! Long exposures, here I come! Of course, I’ll have to figure out a time in which to drive down to Tucson to pick it up, and then time to use it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Sweet mother Mary and Joseph!’ is closed to new replies.