Switching from film to digital

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Switching from film to digital

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    caradoc
    Participant

First picture taken with my new D80. I no longer own any film hardware.

Full-res NEF/RAW, used Capture NX to whiten the baseboards and color balance, red-eye reduction, dumped to JPEG.

I think it’s going to be a loooong day. I can’t play with it any more until the end of the day.

Curious
    Participant

I no longer own any film hardware.

may i ask why. or why not as the case may be. i kept mine although it’s very seldomly used now.

and good luck on that not playing with it thing 🙂

caradoc
    Participant

I sold it to get the new camera. I’d only shot about 30-40 rolls in the last three years anyway, since we’ve mostly been using my wife’s Powershot A70.

Curious
    Participant

yeah digital is great for most uses. i have some special close up stuff that can’t be replaced in digital w/o huge bucks. and the rest of the film equipment is either old manual focus or point and shot and wouldn’t bring enough. i do keep a film point and shoot in each of my digital camera bags just in case.

and no you can’t ask in case of what. let’s say aliens.

no ones has ever accused me of not having enough “stuff”. two digital camera bags with a total of three digital cameras and three film cameras and various accessories.
    http://www.davesweblife.com/images/stuff%20for%20friends/7D-vs-71-1.jpg

and yes i just took that. yes with another digital camera. the one that stays in the car. as opposed to the one that stays in the truck.

and i blame it all on fark and the farktography contest 🙂

you’ve been warned.

renko
    Participant

You know what the nicest thing is about this great big move to digital? I get to buy everybody’s medium format and 35mm gear on the cheap 🙂

neener neener :p

caradoc
    Participant

renko, I can understand your joy.

I don’t have room for a darkroom here, nor do I want to work in someone else’s darkroom… and even if I had the room, my wife pointed out months ago that if I went all-digital, I wouldn’t need a darkroom anyway.

caradoc
    Participant

Not to mention darkroom supplies!

snipped

Nice shot caradoc! I downloaded the trial version of NX Capture and I love it.

Thanks! I thought it turned out better than usual for a first shot on a brand new (to me) camera.

As for the darkroom supplies, I work from home as a UNIX sysadmin – I already have all of the hardware I really need… just need to work on sharpening my graphics toolset. GIMP doesn’t seem to want to play nice with the RAW/NEF formats, so I’ve been dinking with Capture NX vs. Aperture (I use a Mac as my primary)

It’s taken a long time to get that organized…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Wow, I thought Zeke’s dual monitor setup was sweet 😉 Have you tried the UFRAW plugin for GIMP? We run that combination on our Linux systems and have no problems with it, though we shoot Canon. I thought Nikon had divulged their precious WB data, but I could be wrong…

caradoc
    Participant

Elsinore, that’s three different computers on the monitors, and the laptop on the far right is using the monitor to its immediate left as an extended desktop. The center monitor is connected to a Power Mac Dual G5, and the one on the left is another Mac that I use as a console connection to three Sun boxes about three feet from my left elbow.

Yes, I have an old Power Mac 8600/300 with a quad-port serial card in it. It’s also doing some video services for my security camera system.

There’s a spiffy little piece of software called “Synergy” that works like VNC, but doesn’t pipe the video over the network – just the keyboard and mouse, and the video output goes to a monitor attached to that remote box. So, I can use the same trackball and mouse on all of the machines, and just mouse across from one monitor to the next. Saves a lot of cabling for KVM and the like, I don’t get the network overhead associated with VNC, and the video response is MUCH better on a local monitor than over a network.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

wow, awesome! So deliciously geeky! I’ll have to direct Zeke to check out this thread so he can have a geek-gasm too lol

Curious
    Participant

IANAL, nor a sysadmin, nor anywhere that much of a geek

BUT i’m speechless caradoc. that is the sweetest setup i’ve seen ok i don’t get out a lot and i almost understand the hookup. not a mac person either.

no longer impressed with my one KVM setup

monkeybort
    Participant

wow, i think i’m negative on the geek score.

*looks at single computer*

oh well, works for me. 🙂 i would have no idea what to do with all that hardware.

renko – where do you get your film hardware? i’d like to get a medium format setup but don’t have big bucks. any ideas?

caradoc
    Participant

i would have no idea what to do with all that hardware.

Well, for one, you don’t have to worry about heating that room during the winter… That’s the primary reason I’ve gone completely to LCD instead of CRT here.

They put out about 1/20th the heat of my former CRTs.

sleeping
    Participant

renko – where do you get your film hardware? i’d like to get a medium format setup but don’t have big bucks. any ideas?

I’ve put together a pretty nice kit around a Bronica SQ-Ai mostly getting things from ebay, plus a couple bits and pieces from http://www.KEH.com. The camera + metering prism + 80mm normal lens was less than $400…

http://flickr.com/photos/awrose/tags/bronica/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Switching from film to digital’ is closed to new replies.