The day was siezed

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery The day was siezed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

I had an opportunity of a lifetime pop up last week. I got an email on Model Mayhem from Titania Lyn (pretty much top-tier professional model who’s credits include little things like the cover of Playboy Special Editions and whatnot) saying that she was going to be in DC for a job and had time to schedule some fun shoots. So I penciled in a few hours on my day off and kept relatively quiet until I was certain that the stars were in fact aligning. In the week leading up to the shoot, I must have changed my mind a dozen times on what subjects and styles would be used, but I finally settled out after listing three main criteria:

1) What can I do to best learn from her experience?

2) What can I do to best focus on what I’m doing?

3) What can I do that doesn’t already exist in her portfolio, in hopes that she likes one of my photos enough to add it, thereby giving me much higher-level exposure?

Once I ran with that, it was a matter of coming up with four themes, and choosing two of them the day of. Assisted by a lady from my church (who is incredibly awesome and as retired military isn’t exactly your typical Virginia church lady), and armed with a standard-issue model release, I decided on a post-apocalyptic theme under the local high-tension power lines and traditional scarf-dancing. The post-apoc stuff would be entirely on film, save for random interjections of infrared, and the scarf-dancing would be digital spray-and-pray for timing whilst concentrating on composition.

What I learned:

The experience of a professional and seasoned model is irreplaceable. I never once had to describe a pose. I could simply say things like “give me forlorn” and she would go right to what I was thinking. She would also offer two or three different poses for any given thought process, changing up within a split second of hearing the shutter click. She even helped my assistant dial in the reflector when she was off-alignment without being prompted. I couldn’t imagine some of what I did with an inexperienced model, but now I at least have food for thought when it comes to working with lesser experienced models.

Everything slows down on large format. And it pays to check everything twice. At one point, when I went to load the film cartridge, I noticed that my ground glass was stuck at an angle, thus severely warping my perceived focus. I shot four shots on the Crown Graphic I bought from Curious a while back (first time having it out with 4×5 rather than 120). I haven’t developed them yet because everything slows down on LF. I’m ordering new chemicals to make sure they come out right.

Pay attention to changing weather. We started out with heavy overcast with soft lighting. We ended up with spotty clouds and bright sun and harsh shadows.

Having fun and staying relaxed is key. The three of us were chatting the whole time. Jobs, places traveled, favorite cameras, lenses, and styles of shooting, difficulties in shopping for 36F bras (strangely, I already had experience in that particular difficulty — long story), you know, the usual. I don’t think the shot would have had nearly as much flow without the banter. And it led to a humorous situation. We were discussing an idea for the next few shots when I heard a train approaching slowly. Given it’s speed, I didn’t think much of it assuming it was freight, until I saw the silver engine through a gap in the trees right before a wide open spot. I pointed out to her that it was a passenger train and before I could finish saying “if you want to cover up” she had turned around to face the train in all her naked glory and started waiving.

So, anyhow, I’ve been processing photos. There’s still more to do, but I felt like sharing some of what’s been done so far.

NSFW link to Flickr set (You may need a login since I have it flagged on flickr. Did I mention it’s NSFW)?

ennuipoet
    Participant

I approve of this! The LF shots are now eagerly awaited!

Working with a professional model is something I truly desire in the future, though I would prefer to be an assistant on a shoot before doing one myself. I’ve no real idea how to pose a model for full body shots. Almost all of my work is head shots, which is an entirely different kind of posing, all together.

(It’s an entirely different kind of posing.)

Though, I doubt I will ever work with nudes. There is a kind of intimacy in them I don’t think I possess. I suspect I would concentrate more on the “OMG naked woman!” I think I will keep my models clothed.

staplermofo
    Participant

That is crazy.

chupathingie
    Participant

Siezed, indeed! Awesome set of events! 🙂

orionid
    Participant

I approve of this! The LF shots are now eagerly awaited!

Working with a professional model is something I truly desire in the future, though I would prefer to be an assistant on a shoot before doing one myself. I’ve no real idea how to pose a model for full body shots. Almost all of my work is head shots, which is an entirely different kind of posing, all together.

(It’s an entirely different kind of posing.)

Though, I doubt I will ever work with nudes. There is a kind of intimacy in them I don’t think I possess. I suspect I would concentrate more on the “OMG naked woman!” I think I will keep my models clothed.

Thanks, man.

Working with models is definitely an experience I’d recommend. It really opens up the concept of collaboration. It’s no longer just your shot… your subject has just as much control over the outcome based on posing, facial expression, and dozens of other little variables as you do with format selection, composition, and lighting. And when the results work, it’s truly rewarding.

As far as your suspected concentration, I think you’d be surprised. I was afraid going in that I was going to be a total boy about the situation. I was afraid I’d end up doing or saying something that would forever brand me as “creepy guy with a camera,” so I kept telling myself all week “she’s a professional, you can be a professional. When it all came down to it, it was actually incredibly easy to defocus on “OMG bewbies” and think about the photos as a whole (I was primarily shooting wide to help woth this, though). I can freely admit that I deviated twice in my mind, once when we first started and she got undressed. The guy in me had to do a quick scan and I immediately told myself “self: knock it the fark off. You’re here for photos, not being an ass.” During the scarf dancing part I remember thinking “My god, look at those things bounce. Then it was right back to “hey, let’s try this angle.” Otherwise, it was entirely different than any other time I’d ever been around nudity, camera or not. There was no tension or nervousness. It was an agreed upon creative concept and we both had the final product in mind. I do think her experience and confidence was a big help in that, too, though. Had she shown any signs of nervousness, I’d have probably clued into that and started concentrating more on not making her any more uncomfortable and less on the actual photos.

Mofo and Chupa, Thanks!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

What an excellent opportunity and experience – Congrats, orionid!

I don’t see myself ever doing any professional stuff, or at least no non-landscape/still life. It’s pressure enough taking free posed shots of extended family! So, you definitely have my respect there.

orionid
    Participant

What an excellent opportunity and experience – Congrats, orionid!

I don’t see myself ever doing any professional stuff, or at least no non-landscape/still life. It’s pressure enough taking free posed shots of extended family! So, you definitely have my respect there.

Thanks, man.

Also: I uploaded a few more. Still a lot of processing to slog through. as an added note regarding model experience and ability, I can certainly say going through the film shots that there are certainly some I like more than others, but the only ones I haven’t liked were my mistakes like bad focus or exposure.

orionid
    Participant

For those who aren’t flickr-friendly, here’s an alternative link: http://buckscorner.com/home/titania-set/

Unlike on flickr, everything’s been uploaded and sorted except the 4×5 stuff.

staplermofo
    Participant

When do you find out if she likes them?

orionid
    Participant

When do you find out if she likes them?

As soon as she emails me back. I sent her the alternative link today.

Edit to add: She loved them. Especially the redscale ones.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘The day was siezed’ is closed to new replies.