The gimp and flash washout

Forums Forums Get Technical Software The gimp and flash washout

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Toriko
    Participant

Hello there,

I’m going to try to enter my first farktography contest this week and I was wondering if anyone knew what filters / settings/ magic button to push to help get rid of flash washout in Gimp?

Also, what is the standard size we should use when posting a photo in the farktography contest?

monkeybort
    Participant

size should be 50 kb or less (i usually do 10″ on the long side, 72 dpi, save the .jpg at somewhere between 50-80%). i have no idea about Gimp though, sorry.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think anything over 700 pixels wide or 1200 pixels tall/long will be automagically rejected by Fark, so keep it under that. I usually just go no more than 600-675 on the longest side myself, also at 72dpi like monkeybort, and I save at whatever percentage gets me close to 50k.

As for your GIMP question, I use GIMP, but I’m not exactly sure what it is you’re referring to when you say “flash washout.” Do you mean the harsh flash “look”? Are you talking about overexposure? Quite a lot can be done with the levels, curves, and contrast/brightness controls, though I think probably the best way to avoid the flash “look” is to either not use flash or to bounce it if you can off the ceiling, wall, or a flash attachment. I can’t really say much more about software solutions until I know exactly what you’re asking/referring to, though.

Toriko
    Participant

Hello Hello, the picture was taken outside (backyard contest) but because it was in the shade, the flash went off. The subject were some birds with irridecent feathers, so their feathers reflected some of the flash back to the camera and now they look too shiny.

monkeybort
    Participant

Is it a built in flash? do you have a SLR? sometimes you can adjust your flash to just be a ‘fill flash’ instead of ‘illuminate the earth’ flash. as far as GIMP’ing or photoshopping that, there is probably no detail behind the hot spot on the birds, so you’re pretty much SOL there.

Toriko
    Participant

Mr. Bort, I am probably SOL. I adjusted the contrast a bit to make the background darker and the birds stand out more, but they still seem shiny. You’ll see when the link hits. Thanks for your help BTW. I’m very excited for my first contest!!!!

Klahanie
    Participant

I wouldn’t say you are SOL. I like the pic so I put it in Photoshop Elements and tweeked it a little. Keep in mind that my monitor is an 11 year old Gateway2000 CrystalScan and that I don’t know what those birds are supposed to look like. You’re so lucky to see them in your backyard by the way! Anyhoo… I cropped out quite a bit of the table because it was shiny, but also because I really love the bird in flight (Awesome catch!) and thought it should be more prominent. I also used the shadows and highlight tool and used 61 on the darken highlight, +12 midtones, and 0 on the lighten shadows. Under the adjust color tool I reduced the saturation 22. I think it helped, but like I said, I have monitor issues. Here is what I came up with:

Klahanie
    Participant

Oh, and I don’t know anything about Gimp, but it must have similar features? I also don’t know if I made much of a difference, but I would play around with it a bit more if I were you. My cropping is a little “off” too. 😕

Toriko
    Participant

Wow, that looks good Gallery Wench! Gimp has all kinds of knobs and buttons for color saturation and light dark. I honestly didn’t even know where to begin. Thank you so much!

The flying one is cool, but I like the little guy on the right who is walking. They have a cute little penguin waddle.

My husband (Tyson) and I are planning on entering more contests so your advice will be helpful next time =)

monkeybort
    Participant

Mr. Bort, I am probably SOL. I adjusted the contrast a bit to make the background darker and the birds stand out more, but they still seem shiny. You’ll see when the link hits. Thanks for your help BTW. I’m very excited for my first contest!!!!

oooo, good job galleywench! i haven’t checked out the thread yet, but toriko, those are beautiful!

and it’s Ms. Bort, btw. 😀

Klahanie
    Participant

You’re welcome! Those birds really look like they’ve got some personality. The one on the right is giving me the evil eye!

It’s great to have you guys onboard, but I’m warning you, it’s addictive. Next weeks theme is shadows…

Klahanie
    Participant

Ms. Bort soon to be Mrs.!

monkeybort
    Participant

Ms. Bort soon to be Mrs.!

haha, exactamundo!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘The gimp and flash washout’ is closed to new replies.