Too late for this week’s contest, but . . .

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Too late for this week’s contest, but . . .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    zincprincess
    Participant

The family went to the South Carolina Aquarium while on vacation. Of course this was the day after the Fish contest. It didn’t matter to me because I wanted to go there both to amuse the tot and to take pictures. Both goals were met.

I (stupidly) only had the flash batteries that were in the flash so there were frustrating moments when the damn thing wouldn’t fire. The moray eel took a particular interest in me and was almost posing for me. Unfortunately that was when the flash batteries decided to run out. However, I got several shots that I’m pleased with.

DSC_2711

ravnostic
    Participant

I like the yellow eel shot, and the lionfish pics came out really well also. But in particular I like the shot of the little girl and the scuba guy–the ‘human’ factor works really well there.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I don’t think it counts as a fish, but I particularly liked the diver photo.

Caption: “Live long…and prosper”?

ravnostic
    Participant

Two people separated by how many 1000’s of miles (Phx, Fukuoka) post nearly the same comment at the same time, down to the use of the word ‘particular’.

Life’s little coinky dinks! So obviously we’re both right about the shot. 🙂

LeicaLens
    Participant

Two people separated by how many 1000’s of miles (Phx, Fukuoka) post nearly the same comment at the same time, down to the use of the word ‘particular’.

Life’s little coinky dinks! So obviously we’re both right about the shot. 🙂

Cripes, Yes! My first Farktography simulpost!

/Off topic, but related to the Phoenix abbreviation “Phx”, the airport abbreviation for Fukuoka is “FUK”. I get some odd looks at the airport in Britain when I am going home 😯

Curious
    Participant

i liked the yellow eel with the “cut here” lines on his/her head.

Curious
    Participant

I (stupidly) only had the flash batteries that were in the flash so there were frustrating moments when the damn thing wouldn’t fire. The moray eel took a particular interest in me and was almost posing for me. Unfortunately that was when the flash batteries decided to run out. However, I got several shots that I’m pleased with. /

took a look at some shots of mine at the new orleans aquarium shot with a minolta 7i (fixed lens DSLR) and no flash. shutter speeds down to 1/8 @ f2.8 and still no hand shake. or no perceptible shake. i must have been much steadier in 2004 🙂

anyway my point is available light can work for you with slow moving subjects.

zincprincess
    Participant

I like the one with the scuba diver as well. He was cleaning the “reef” which is actually concrete when we spotted him. My daughter was fascinated. They both posed in another picture together. He was a good sport.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Some nice shots there. When my family did the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago (where my two “real” fish photos are from), there were signs everywhere saying “no flash photography.” Didn’t stop most of the people taking photos from using flash, but I followed it, which resulted in a lot of high ISO (noisy) pics and a few blurry ones where the dang fish moved during the long shutter.

Assuming you used flash on most of your shots, how did you prevent the flash reflection off the aquarium glass?

zincprincess
    Participant

Thanks. I wanted to get there before the fish contest but the schedule didn’t work out. This is the downside of vacationing with your in-laws. The upside is that they paid for our house which rocked.

I used an external flash with it angled up at either 45 or 60 degrees. I still ended up with flash flares in some pictures (like the one posted above). I couldn’t get a decent shot of the river otters because of the flash reflection and the speed of the damn otters.

All in all, I took about 150 pictures to get 15-20 good ones.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Too late for this week’s contest, but . . .’ is closed to new replies.