Tripods…Oh, Tripods

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Tripods…Oh, Tripods

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    fluffybunny
    Participant

I know stuck in some closet somewhere at my parent’s house there is a large, heavy tripod that my dad used on his video recorder (circa 1985) that I am going to try to relieve him of along with his nikkormat ftn when I see him next. Thus, this purchase is more along the travel tripod needs. Something I’ll actually take with me on hikes / walks / etc. And then I’ll hope that the heavy unit my dad’s got will be just the ticket if I want to start doing very long exposure shots.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Dolica GX650B204 Proline GX Series 65 inch

FWIW,…

If it was me looking for a hiking tripod, the Dolica GX650B204 would be a less than ideal choice as the folded length is 25 inches. I carry mine sideways across the pack, folded length of 16″ with ball head. Mine is a Velbon Ultra Max I F. It’s not real tall, it is really spindly but on the trail weight and size means a lot. An I have used it with a 7D/70-200L to get photographs I would have missed.

Alternatively, think about a stout mono pod as it can double for your walking stick (something else I use routinely).

Barracuda
    Participant

Well, the Dolcia was out of stock (both 63 & 60″ versions) and after some more research, decided to go with the Davis & Sanford Voyager Lite with BHQ8 Ball Head that Plamadude30k suggested. Looks to fold down to a slightly shorter length, so we’ll see how I like it when it arrives. Good suggestion fluffybunny on the monopod / walking stick. I may look around for a small ball head and build one for myself.

Barracuda
    Participant

Best I could find on B&H:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/667187-REG/Davis_Sanford_VOYAGERLTB_Voyager_Lite_with_BHQ8.html
    It actually has a ball head, and it’s less than $50. Who knows how good it is, but it looks interesting.

Tripod arrived yesterday. Initial impressions are positive. 3 leg position stops, plenty of height, 2-piece column. Removing the lower section of the column is rather noisy, I may try to get a tad bit of silicone grease on the threads to quiet it down. Weight and folded size is right in the ballpark of what I was looking for. Very little plastic on it, mainly just the leg section locks and the few thumb knobs. Once this 3-day rain event we’re having ends I’ll try to get out and get some real world use out of it.

Kestrana
    Participant

orionid and I went to the Lewis Ginter winter lights show a couple weeks ago and were dumb and we both forgot to bring tripods so we ended up buying a carbon fiber manfrotto super-collapsible. Fully collapsed it’s about a foot long but it’s a full size tripod. The pistol grip took a little getting used to, but I think I like it better than my old tripod and it’s certainly lighter.

Yoyo
    Participant

A geared head makes a great antenna controller. Now I just need more quick release plates for the camera gear.

lokisbong
    Participant

I’ve been looking at this the last couple of days. http://www.adorama.com/DOZX600B300.html Seems like it would be just what I need. I don’t really need the super short legs when collapsed and this thing is pretty light compared to my old busted one that was really made for video cameras.

orionid
    Participant

I’ve been looking at this the last couple of days. http://www.adorama.com/DOZX600B300.html Seems like it would be just what I need. I don’t really need the super short legs when collapsed and this thing is pretty light compared to my old busted one that was really made for video cameras.

Damn. At that price, it’s a steal… It’s about a third of the weight of my aluminum tripod for the same height and load capacity. You may or may not end up wanting a different head, though… Ball heads are, uhh, unique. some people swear by them, some hate them. Personally, I think they have their place but I don’t go out of my way for one.

/random, similar topic, don’t feel like searching right now: Anyone know of a motorized GEM for a standard (3/8-18 ) or half-inch tripod that’ll mount directly to an slr?

chupathingie
    Participant

/random, similar topic, don’t feel like searching right now: Anyone know of a motorized GEM for a standard (3/8-18 ) or half-inch tripod that’ll mount directly to an slr?

Tough one there…are you looking for an actual GEM or just something that tracks? A full-blown GEM is actually cheaper than something like an astrotrac after you figure in the pair of heads you need to make it manageable. All you really need in addition to a standard GEM is a mount plate with your screw of choice poked thru it. I actually had my camera attached to my mount with a lighting clamp for a couple years; it doesn’t have be level or square, just rigid. The polar alignment takes care of pointing regardless of the angle of the camera relative to the mount.

Some of the threads here might help you cut to the chase.

lokisbong
    Participant

Damn. At that price, it’s a steal… It’s about a third of the weight of my aluminum tripod for the same height and load capacity. You may or may not end up wanting a different head, though… Ball heads are, uhh, unique. some people swear by them, some hate them. Personally, I think they have their place but I don’t go out of my way for one.

I have never seen a ball head in person so it will be a learning experience. I would prefer to play with what ever I get in advance but the nearest camera shop is probably Vegas or Reno. So close to 240 miles either way

fluffybunny
    Participant

I have never seen a ball head in person so it will be a learning experience. I would prefer to play with what ever I get in advance but the nearest camera shop is probably Vegas or Reno. So close to 240 miles either way

I’m one of those that swears by a ball head.

I started with this one:
    Slik Standard Ballhead II – Supports 11 lbs
    http://www.adorama.com/SLSBH.html

But Adorama has a great deal on this one so I upgraded:
    Vanguard ABH-340L
    http://www.adorama.com/VGABH340L.html

The new one is elliptical and you can set the tension as a variable, the mounted gear can then be moved by hand but not by gravity. Pretty sweet, especially given its price. Granted your example is probably a better deal overall in that it is a CF tripod and ball head, but thought I’d share my recent experience FWIW.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I’m one of those that swears by a ball head.

I started with this one:
    Slik Standard Ballhead II – Supports 11 lbs
    http://www.adorama.com/SLSBH.html

But Adorama has a great deal on this one so I upgraded:
    Vanguard ABH-340L
    http://www.adorama.com/VGABH340L.html

The new one is elliptical and you can set the tension as a variable, the mounted gear can then be moved by hand but not by gravity. Pretty sweet, especially given its price. Granted your example is probably a better deal overall in that it is a CF tripod and ball head, but thought I’d share my recent experience FWIW.

bender16v
    Participant

Since this thread has come back up, I’ll give my limited input. A few months ago I bought a Vanguard 263AT: http://www.adorama.com/VGT263AB100.html from my local shop.
    I haven’t used it much, but I really like the way the center shaft comes out at various angles. It’s pretty big and heavy so I haven’t taken it walking with me, my slingshot pack is heavy enough. I used it yesterday for some macro shots of water on flower leaves and it lets you get about any angle you want. I like the flexibility of the ballhead, but at the same time it can be touchy if I am trying to get a straight frame set up.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Since this thread has come back up, I’ll give my limited input. A few months ago I bought a Vanguard 263AT: http://www.adorama.com/VGT263AB100.html from my local shop.
    I haven’t used it much, but I really like the way the center shaft comes out at various angles. It’s pretty big and heavy so I haven’t taken it walking with me, my slingshot pack is heavy enough. I used it yesterday for some macro shots of water on flower leaves and it lets you get about any angle you want. I like the flexibility of the ballhead, but at the same time it can be touchy if I am trying to get a straight frame set up.

Man if I didn’t already have a tripod I would be getting that one. I made some addons for mine that accomplish the articulated neck idea but they are not as elegant as that. Maybe someday.

lokisbong
    Participant

Well I sprung for the Dolica I linked to upthread. I will give an impressions and review type post once I have it in hand.

lokisbong
    Participant

So I have only played with my new tripod a little bit (work has kept me from it mostly) but I will say I like it a lot! The ball head is different compared to what I was used to but a 1000% improvement over the video camera tripod I have been using. It has a level bubble on the upper part of the ball head where the quick release sits and another bubble on the legs.The legs are the three position type so I can get the super low and still very stable pics. and the center column can be removed and reinstalled from the bottom for extra low stuff. It seems it weighs almost exactly the same as my crappy old busted tripod (Carbon fiber Vs aluminum) but is WAY more stable. Over all I would say it was totally worth the $125 I paid for it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • The topic ‘Tripods…Oh, Tripods’ is closed to new replies.