using incompatible lenses

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware using incompatible lenses

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    staplermofo
    Participant

I’d like a macro, and I’d like it cheap. I was looking at this Quantaray 90mm macro. I have another Quantaray (28mm) also described as incompatible with digital eos bodies which I’m thrilled with, EXCEPT that if I shoot at anything other than wide open my camera crashes.

Then, I ran across this.

What are the chances I could throw it on a film body, stop it at f/8 or whatever, tape over the connectors and throw it on my dslr to live happily ever after?

soosh
    Participant

you could probably do that and get away with it.

just a thought, you can buy adapters for manual focus lenses to fit on your EOS mount for cheap, that work really well. I currently have screwmount, Contax/Yashica, Minolta manual focus, and a few others. Manual-focus macro lenses can be found for cheap. If you really want to get crazy, you can get an old macro bellows, mount it to your camera with a screwmount adapter, then mount a lens, macro or not, to the front of the bellows. I have done this with enlarger lenses to great success. The below were taken with a setup like that.

or if you have a lens in the 85-200mm range, preferably a prime, try using a reversing ring to mount your 28mm backwards on it. that’ll get you in really close. these were taken with that kind of setup.

mushroom:

sage leaf:

staplermofo
    Participant

I currently have screwmount, Contax/Yashica, Minolta manual focus, and a few others. Manual-focus macro lenses can be found for cheap.

If I could find a screw mount macro prime lens I’d be all over it, but I’ve only seen zooms in the under $150 range.

sleeping
    Participant

If I could find a screw mount macro prime lens I’d be all over it, but I’ve only seen zooms in the under $150 range.

55mm F3.5 micro nikkor: http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NK069990544670?r=FE

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awrose/958739514/ (this is with a longer extension tube though)

staplermofo
    Participant

Awesome, thanks.

Yoyo
    Participant

This is a really neat trick. I actually tried it out myself while watching the video.

I’m really happy with the results achieved by a cheap (~$78) set of extension tubes. (My new flash and remote cord work wonders for macro shots also.) This is the full frame shot with millimeter scale included. You can see more detail with the large size crop also on Flickr. I used a EF 50mm f/1.4, with 3 extension tubes totalling 65mm, Speedlite 580EX II on manual 1/8 power, 1/200 shutter, f/22 aperture, ISO 100.

pepper-w-mm-scale by Kimo Sully, on Flickr

The width of view here is about 17 mm (a bit smaller through the focal plane since the ruler is behind the sprout), and the sensor is 22.3mm wide, so effectively the multiplication factor is 1.3. I could possibly focus a bit closer w/ the 50mm or switch lenses to get 1.5x or possibly better.

The nice thing about the extension tubes is they allow full electronic control of aperture and focus (not the my T2i auto-focuses well at macro distances). This shot took all of 2 minutes to get, and I started w/o the flash at 1.4. It was way too dark, so I added the flash and started stopping down the aperture, and then the flash as well when I hit the lens limit of f/22.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘using incompatible lenses’ is closed to new replies.