Vignetting

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks Vignetting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    michandphoto
    Participant

I’m trying to get a holga-esque look on an image. Something like the image below, and I would prefer to do it non-destructively in PS CS4.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I’m not sure what you mean by “non-descriptively” but here’s what I just tried in GIMP with reasonable results. There may very well be a “Effects -> Holga VIgnette” option in Photoshop of course… But this should work in any image manipulation program.

1. Use the circle/oval selection tool to pick the part of the image you want to be free of vignette distortion

2. Use “select -> invert”

3. Then “select -> feather”
    3a. I found using ~10% of the width of the image worked well

4. Use “color -> curves” to darken the fuzzy corners you selected as much as you like.

The more you feather the wider the gradient will be. And the size of the initial circle/oval selection controls how much of the darkness extends from the corners. So you can play with both until you get the effect you want.

Finally, if you shrink the image so that it’s smaller than the window framing it (meaning there’s an empty border around it) it’s easier to get the circle/oval to select what you want, since you can drag the corners outside the image boundaries (so that the sides are clear of vignette distortion).

If that doesn’t make sense let me know and I can try to re-word or post screen captures of the steps.

prair
    Participant

i’m using CS3, but i would assume 4 has the same option. what file type are you using? when you bring a RAW into p-shop using the RAW options, you can add a vignette easily. but if you have a jpeg, you can make it so p-shop uses RAW options with those, also.

go to photoshop preferences, file handling. under file compatibility, make sure the “Prefer Adobe Camera RAW for JPG files” is checked.

when you pull in your jpg, you will get the RAW options. vignette options are under the “lens corrections” tab under the histogram on the right.

hope this works in CS4 for you.

Curious
    Participant

I’m trying to get a holga-esque look on an image. Something like the image below, and I would prefer to do it non-destructively in PS CS4.

i (almost) always make a copy of what i’m going to photoshop and use a separate folder for those photos. this avoids the accidental “save changes” click yes problem.

also when saving your work a new title helps insure that the original remains intact. if the image you posted is “downtown002” simply getting rid of the 002 part means you now have two images. and again when you close the photo or photoshop and get the save changes dialog box selecting “no” keeps your original — well original.

you will have to clean originals from your working folder probably but that’s better than losing one.

and if that wasn’t what you meant, sorry.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Vignetting’ is closed to new replies.