What happened to my camera?

Forums Forums Get Technical Farktography tech talk What happened to my camera?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    nutkick_42
    Participant

I was taking pictures the other day when my camera (Panasonic DMC-LZ3) decided to start putting vertical lines on my photos. I chalked it up to the almost dead battery and turned it off. Today, I put in fresh batteries and it’s still behaving badly. It goes from normal, to putting lines on, to behaving completely bizarrely. Here are a few photos of my keyboard I took after installing new batteries and telling it to reset all settings. Is it FUBAR, or can it be fixed?

RcMacStudent
    Participant

I’m not a an expert but that looks pretty well FUBARed. If you’re still covered by the warranty I’d send it back ASAP.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Is that mold growing on your keyboard? LOL!!

Looks fubar to me.

what kind of camera?

Killerclaw
    Participant

Make an artistic style out of it!

nutkick_42
    Participant

I’m not a an expert but that looks pretty well FUBARed. If you’re still covered by the warranty I’d send it back ASAP.

It’s over 2 years old, and I think it may have been a refurb, so likely no warranty left

Looks fubar to me.

what kind of camera?

Not mold, just dried ramen noodle broth (equally gross, I know, but I like to slurp noodles while I compute)

As stated above, it’s a Panasonic DMC-LZ3

I really hope it’s not fubar. I can’t afford another camera right now, and I really want to keep on farktographing..

soosh
    Participant

That does not look promising.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That definitely looks busted. It reminds me a lot of a photo bhollar once posted…think it was the self portraiture theme:
    Day042_2007-04-30

nutkick_42
    Participant

Crap. That is what my screen looks like when the camera’s at its worst. Looks like I’ll be in the market for a new camera soon…

lokisbong
    Participant

My last cheap camera started doing that the day before it died. It was pretty foggy that week too so it could have been moisture that killed it. I agree that the prognosis is not good.

nobigdeal
    Participant

It’s over 2 years old, and I think it may have been a refurb, so likely no warranty left

Looks fubar to me.

what kind of camera?

Not mold, just dried ramen noodle broth (equally gross, I know, but I like to slurp noodles while I compute)

As stated above, it’s a Panasonic DMC-LZ3

I really hope it’s not fubar. I can’t afford another camera right now, and I really want to keep on farktographing..

It still looks cleaner than my keyboard at work. A keyboard in an auto shop…yea thats pretty scuzzy.

I had a HP point & shoot that looked like that after I closed it in a car door…so I think it’s borked.

The good news is that it gives you an excuse to upgrade to a DSLR. After xmas deals abound my friend. Now is the time.

If you really are broke though I have an old OLY P&S you can have. It’s only 2.1 mp though so your cameraphone might be better.

orionid
    Participant

Make an artistic style out of it!

This. Especially the images that came out looking like a bad 1960’s tv that survived as far as the 80 but is always out of sync.

The electronincs technician in me wants to ask if it was dropped or jarred recently. Or possibly exposed to moisture? The dropping out of pixels in vertical or horizontal lines makes me suspect that either the sensor itself is about to kick the bucket, or is coming loose, or the modulator/demodulator in the sensor scanner already crapped out. Either way, you’re due for a new camera, start rolling your pennies. Maybe that $150 amazon.com camera that was mentioned a few threads back? Until then, have fun with it. Mistake or not, those are some badass effects that you can definatley claim as in camera, and no one on this site will question you now.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Translation: shoot as much now before it craps out cause something might turn out pretty damn cool!

nutkick_42
    Participant

I haven’t dropped it or exposed it to moisture lately. I was actually using it when it started doing this. I walked out from under a carport to get a picture of my cousins playing football, and everything went to crap when I went from shade to sunlight.

After a bit of digging, I found out that it may have a bit of warranty left after all. I’ll probably take a few shots with it as-is, store them away for a fitting contest, then ship it in to be fixed or refunded. I really hope it gets fixed, because I only paid $60 for it, and I probably can’t replace it for that.

Edit: It messes up more often if I give the case a gentle squeeze over in the upper right corner, next to where all of the buttons are.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Translation: shoot as much now before it craps out cause something might turn out pretty damn cool!

I agree, take tons of shots until it dies. I love random distortions in photos.

And Elsinore, that link you provided to the whacked portrait was awesome!

My brand new toy, Nikon D80, this this just once. The other 100+ photos shot that day were fine and it’s never happened again.

nutkick_42
    Participant

I posted a few more w/ my new-found effect(s) on flickr. Comments welcome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘What happened to my camera?’ is closed to new replies.