What would a good entry level d-slr be?

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware What would a good entry level d-slr be?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    EdgewoodDirk
    Participant

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I find myself getting dragged kicking and screaming into the digital photography age, and am now seriously contemplating retiring my Pentax K-1000.

I am looking for a good entry level d-slr that I can play around with for a year or two before moving up to a more serious, and expensive camera body. The one I find myself drawn to is the Canon Rebel XSI.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, or other ideas!

Thanks!

SilverStag
    Participant

Any of the Nikon D40, D5000, or your choiceof entry-level Canons should be OK in the long run. Err towards spending more money on lenses rather than camera bodies.

I urge you to go to a brick-and mortar store and actually handle brands you consider. Ergonomics in cameras is absolutely crucial. I’d also urge you to purchase at the local camera shop. You do want them to be around later, don’t you?

corsec67
    Participant

Since you have a Pentax K-1000, do you have any lenses for that camera that might be worth anything?

If you got a Pentax K-m, those lenses could be used on the digital body.

If you don’t have any lenses that are worth anything, then you can choose from any company you want.

I also agree that you should spend more on the lenses.

My suggestions for lenses, regardless of brands: Sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, a 70-200 f/2.8.
    (If the 70-200 f/2.8 is too expensive, a 70-300 f/4-5.6 would work for outdoors), and then a 35mm f/2 and 100mm macro.

EdgewoodDirk
    Participant

The only lens I would consider, almost manditory, is my 100 f/4 macro, every thing else is replacable. As well, I always prefer to shop locally rather than Best Buy. I worked for a Best Buy owned company over the Christmas Holidays, it is frightening how little the sales people know.

It is also frightening how little the people coming in to buy a camera know.

Uranus
    Participant

Any of the Nikon D40, D5000, or your choiceof entry-level Canons should be OK in the long run. Err towards spending more money on lenses rather than camera bodies.

I urge you to go to a brick-and mortar store and actually handle brands you consider. Ergonomics in cameras is absolutely crucial. I’d also urge you to purchase at the local camera shop. You do want them to be around later, don’t you?

And there you have all the advice you need…seriously, with the right lens the D40 is great, and the buy-in price (locally) is ?100.- less than a comparable Canon, so nice if you’re on a budget.

I’m yet to be more disappointed with the D40 than with myself, so the shots get better as I do…the camera forgives a lot.

It’s light and compact, too…

If there’s a downside it’s that Nikon lenses are superb, but pricey…if it’s not an issue to use non-nikon lenses, the D40 gets the nod.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I would agree with the Nikon D40 as a good choice, so is the Rebel.. However in my opinion the best value in “entry level” DSLR is the Olympus E520 w/ the 2 lens kit.

How can you beat this deal?

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-E-520-Digital-14-42mm-40-150mm/dp/B001EB6OIG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1243986507&sr=1-12

The camera is very very good. I owned one before I switched to Canon. I started out with an E 500 which I absolutely loved.

The Zuiko lenses are very good quality and not terribly expensive because unlike Nikon or Canon the IS is in the camera body.

The only con I can think of with this camera is that unlike my E 500 it is very small. I am a big dude with big hands and really wasn’t comfortable using it. Had I known that Oly was coming out with the E30 I probably would have stayed with them or maybe I should have bought an E3 since it was the same price as my 40D

Killerclaw
    Participant

I would agree with the Nikon D40 as a good choice, so is the Rebel.. However in my opinion the best value in “entry level” DSLR is the Olympus E520 w/ the 2 lens kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-E-520-Digital-14-42mm-40-150mm/dp/B001EB6OIG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1243986507&sr=1-12

The camera is very very good. I owned one before I switched to Canon. I started out with an E 500 which I absolutely loved.

The Zuiko lenses are very good quality and not terribly expensive because unlike Nikon or Canon the IS is in the camera body.

The only con I can think of with this camera is that unlike my E 500 it is very small. I am a big dude with big hands and really wasn’t comfortable using it. Had I known that Oly was coming out with the E30 I probably would have stayed with them or maybe I should have bought an E3 since it was the same price as my 40D

Those packages are usually scams.

corsec67
    Participant

One thing to keep in mind is if you want to move to a camera with a sensor larger than APS. That means you need to buy lenses that aren’t cropped, and should avoid Pentax and Olympus.

(The exception would be the rectilinear 10-2x lenses, those are generally only cropped, and on a full-frame you use different lenses anyways.)

nobigdeal
    Participant

Those packages are usually scams.

I bought from 17th st Photo before. They are on the up & up.
    Thats about the price Circuit city had the package for before they closed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘What would a good entry level d-slr be?’ is closed to new replies.