What’s wrong with this photo?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery What’s wrong with this photo?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    sleeping
    Participant

I wonder how obvious it is if you don’t know…

Leaves 3 by awrose, on Flickr

ravnostic
    Participant

It’s not obvious to me. What’s wrong?

sleeping
    Participant

Wrong is probably an overstatement. Perhaps “unnatural” would have been better…

Kestrana
    Participant

orionid and I aren’t seeing anything obvious. The leaf looks a little deformed on the top edge but not terribly unnatural.

Kestrana
    Participant

The water drops are really clear but nothing I can’t chalk up to unsharp mask. Although now that I look at it, some of the drops are so big I’m surprised they are still distinct bubbles and not dripping. But I wouldn’t have thought much of it without prompting.

sleeping
    Participant

The water drops are really clear but nothing I can’t chalk up to unsharp mask.

60mm AF-D micro-nikkor – seriously sharp, at least stopped down a bit.

Although now that I look at it, some of the drops are so big I’m surprised they are still distinct bubbles and not dripping.

This is the right track.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Whoever took the picture sprayed the leaves with water?
    The droplets should be running, but they’re not. Some seem to be heading in different directions (the droplets should be dripping off the
    leaf tips). Gravity is taking a day off.

sleeping
    Participant

Whoever took the picture sprayed the leaves with water?

No, that was the rain 🙂

The droplets should be running, but they’re not. Some seem to be heading in different directions (the droplets should be dripping off the
    leaf tips). Gravity is taking a day off.

That’s part of it, yes. The other thing is that that’s actually the bottom side of the leaf, which would’t get rained on at all normally. The rougher underside of the leaves holds water droplets a lot better than the shiny top sides, so I picked an upside down one from the ground and held it up like it might be hanging on a tree, but it totally wasn’t.

Kestrana
    Participant

so I picked an upside down one from the ground and held it up like it might be hanging on a tree, but it totally wasn’t.

Hahaha, that was actually the first thing I said to orionid “It looks like he just held the leaf up and took a picture of it” but we do things like that all the time and I don’t consider “arranging your setup” to be wrong so I didn’t think that’s what you were going for.

sleeping
    Participant

[I don’t consider “arranging your setup” to be wrong so I didn’t think that’s what you were going for.

Oh, I do some minor rearrangement fairly often too, but I generally try to keep it within the realm of the physically possible, and this one really wasn’t.

Kestrana
    Participant

It’s a good looking picture so, rock on

ravnostic
    Participant

That’s part of it, yes. The other thing is that that’s actually the bottom side of the leaf, which would’t get rained on at all normally. The rougher underside of the leaves holds water droplets a lot better than the shiny top sides, so I picked an upside down one from the ground and held it up like it might be hanging on a tree, but it totally wasn’t.

I plan on using a similar shot in Autumn II. I took a dozen pics of the upside of the leaf on the ground, then turned it over and took a dozen more, and liked the underside better. Mine is aspen, though, rather than oak.

ravnostic
    Participant

Maple? Damned leaves…I never was good at botany…

Curious
    Participant

once you point it out and then look where the stem meets the leaf you see upside down. but i was thrown off by (among other things) the curvature.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I wondered if the leaf was being held, but from the photo alone it was hard to prove.
    I remember last year going out to shoot some autumnal colours, and there was a guy with a bottle spraying water onto the leaves for extra effect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘What’s wrong with this photo?’ is closed to new replies.