WHO BALEETED MY ENTRY????

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest WHO BALEETED MY ENTRY????

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GoDeep
    Participant

I see that one of the mods baleeted my entry, supposedly because of a broken link. The link is not, and has not been, broken, unless ImageShack was down temporarily. Here is the original link to my post, and it still works: http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8915/siliconedangerzone.jpg

I would like an explanation as to why my entry was baleeted, please.

Thanks,

GoDeep

Elsinore
    Keymaster

As I mentioned in the Fark thread, your hosting probably hiccuped at some point, and the entry didn’t load or hung for a long time loading. When that happens, it gets deleted. Sometimes the host recovers and the image loads again after it’s already been deleted. This happens with some regularity with images hosted from imageshack, btw, though it’s happened to most hosts at one time or another. Hell, one of my entries from this week (the fireworks one) got dropped as a broken image, and I didn’t notice until this morning (and it’s hosted from Flickr).

The good news is that if your post is dropped as a broken image, it (and all the votes you received) can be restored as long as the hosting has resumed. Either click the “notify moderators” link and give us the heads up, say something in the Fark thread, or mention it in the weekly thread here on Farktography.net. Most folks go the last route, saying something in the thread here. You don’t need a separate thread for it, and I check in on the Fark thread and the farktography.net thread regularly during the contest. Of course, if it’s 3 or 4 o’clock in the morning, I might be asleep, so some patience might be warranted, or go the “notify moderators” route and the next available mod will attend to it.

In your current situation, someone already restored it before I even saw your message, so things should be fine now.

GoDeep
    Participant

Hello, Elsinore, and thank you for your response(s). I am sorry for the rant, but I have never seen this before (it has been a while since I participated in any contests.) I thought a hosting issue could be the cause, but I saw that other photos’ links appeared broken, but they had not been baleeted. Go figure.

It looks as though the issue has been handled, either way. Thanks again for your thorough response.

Happy Shooting,

GoDeep

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Sometimes it takes a bit for a hiccupped photo to actually drop into the ether. In that time sometimes the hosting recovers and it doesn’t end up deleted. Other times they drop quickly. It can be frustrating, I know, especially when hosting recovers quickly and your photo is still gone. I do try to search for the ones that have dropped, because there’s always a handful each contest that do. And then there was that time that basically the entire thread dropped….THAT was fun 😆

GoDeep
    Participant

And then there was that time that basically the entire thread dropped….THAT was fun 😆

Ouch!!! Glad I missed that one! 🙄

Again, thanks for your help.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

n/p 🙂

DeaconBlues
    Participant

Hey Elsinore-

My third image also suffered from a flickr hiccup. Would you mind reinstating it?

How are you, Z, and the little ones doing?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yep, got it, along with several others that dropped. Glad to see you back in the game this week!

And we’re doing peachy keen, jelly bean 🙂 Just hung a solo exhibit…you should come by. Deets on FB 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘WHO BALEETED MY ENTRY????’ is closed to new replies.