Who’s up for a trip to Australia for star trails?

Forums Forums News Articles and Info Who’s up for a trip to Australia for star trails?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    aspidites
    Participant
    linguine
    Participant

Wow

lokisbong
    Participant

Very cool. I wish I knew how to get that much color out of my north American star trails. I bet good glass has a lot to do with it.

swampa
    Participant

Well I know what I’m doing one weekend soon 😀

Farktographer
    Participant

I think these are fairly heavily ‘shooped. The colours he’s getting just don’t seem realistic, even with great glass and equipment. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong – I’d love to be able to take shots like this, but seems in-camera star trails always end up being mostly white, even if you’re incorporating sunset or sunrise.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I think these are fairly heavily ‘shooped. The colours he’s getting just don’t seem realistic, even with great glass and equipment. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong – I’d love to be able to take shots like this, but seems in-camera star trails always end up being mostly white, even if you’re incorporating sunset or sunrise.

Kind of what I was thinking, but I am certainly no expert. Perhaps they are “wavelength enhanced”.

orionid
    Participant

I have a few ideas, but none that jive with “I bought my first camera a week ago.”

probably just cranked up the saturation a good bit. Also, depending where he’s at in Australia, when I was camping oustide Alice Springs nears Uluru, we were so deep in the outback, the skies I saw there were second only to Mauna Kea.

swampa
    Participant

Bendigo is about an hours drive north-west of Melbourne. It is also a major regional city so I doubt the sky is anywhere near as clean as out Uluru way.

chupathingie
    Participant

Easiest way to get that kind of color is to overlay a non-stretched selection of your stars (or trails) that has had the saturation increased over your normal, contrast-stretched, long-exposure sky. If you’ve ever wondered how people manage to get such pretty star colors in astrophotos, this is the usual culprit. Long exposures make stars all appear white beyond a certain length.

Yeah, those colors ain’t natural (still pretty, tho…)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Who’s up for a trip to Australia for star trails?’ is closed to new replies.