Work sucks, so spending some of my wage for fun

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Work sucks, so spending some of my wage for fun

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Barracuda
    Participant

Long (really long) story short, my once fairly stable though busy work place has turned into drama city. Seriously considering pitching the idea for a soap opera, but not even sure they’d believe it was real. So decided to spend a little of my wage on a few new camera bits this week.

First picked up the Canon 100mm f2.8 USM Macro, that should arrive maybe Saturday if I’m lucky and I’ll get to test it out after I sleep off my midnight to early morning stint at the office for a database hardware migration. After reading the thread clouddancer started over in the grill and seeing the raving reviews there and elsewhere decided to pull the trigger on a lightly used one that came up for sale on another forum.

[Photos and such when it arrives]

Secondly, a buddy who has given up on the wedding photography gig is pairing down his kit and had a number of Canon speedlites for sale at a price I couldn’t pass up. I snagged a mint 430EX II from him tonight so still getting familiar with that. Already snapped a very nice candid of my wife with it and the 50mm. Hardly ever use the built in flash, so this is going to be a bit of a learning experience for me.

Oh, and lastly, I’m hoping to escape the Texas heat if my vacation days are approved at slightly less than the usual lead time and heading to points north (likely north west) to what should be some at least very scenic locations for a few photo opportunities.

Barracuda
    Participant

It arrived…

nobigdeal
    Participant

That Canon 100mm is a beast of a lens!

Barracuda
    Participant

Indeed it is. Looking forward to putting it and all my lenses through their paces the week of the 12th. Flight and lodging booked for a 6 night trip to Oregon, 3 nights on the coast in Newport, 2 nights in the Willamette Valley and the last evening back in Portland. Hope it’ll be just the trip I need to decompress and relax again after a very stressful stretch at work.

chupathingie
    Participant

Is that cropped or reduced? The hair on that bee is wicked sharp.

Barracuda
    Participant

Minor crop, maybe 5-10% vertical, mostly horizontal crop down to 8×10. hand held, f5.6, 1/200 shutter. Got 4 shots of this guy, only one came out decent, wind was blowing him around on the flower plus he wasn’t exactly sitting still either.

Barracuda
    Participant
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Work sucks, so spending some of my wage for fun’ is closed to new replies.