Wow, this came out nice, but how to I fix this?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Wow, this came out nice, but how to I fix this?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Was out and about shooting panoramas today; love the Canon pano software. Caught a lovely near-sunset image of Superstition Mtns, with partial cloud coverage. Here’s the fit-to-print:

Useless, I know, so may I suggest looking at the slightly bigger versions? (2450W, about 5-700kb each).

http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2010/oct/04/suppan2medweb.jpg

b/w:
    http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2010/oct/04/suppan2medbwweb.jpg

That 2nd I think does Ansel Adams proud.

However.

WTF is up with the darker spot on the right of my images? They don’t blend well. I was using the tamron 70-300mm at 162 mm.

On a lighter note, for a guy with a camera in Arizona who’s screen name isn’t Caradoc, I think this came out okay. It was the brightest bolt of the bunch for tonight (that I captured, that is).

meah.

caradoc
    Participant

Nice! I wasn’t able to get out yesterday as I had to go to a meeting with a friend for whom I’d shot a wedding immediately after work.

My proteg?, on the other hand, got this one:

October 4th Storm – Tempe, Arizona by Christoph Schweiger, on Flickr

I can’t tell you anything about the “darker spot” – do you have one of the individual images that I could look at? If it’s consistent from image to image, it can probably be fixed.

orionid
    Participant

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “darker spots on the right of (your) images,” but I do see the overlap lines. My guess is that this is from minor light dropoff towards the edges of your sensor. You could account for this by using more overlap between shots (which also mininmizes distortion), or turning your camera vertically during panoramic shots. Also, it looks like you already did it, but you didn’t say one way or the other, but you should set you exposure manually when doing stitched panoramas. Pick a value in the middle of your scene (light wise, not physically) and make all your exposures that way. Leaving the camera in aperture priority may cause different shutter speeds depending on subject lightness or sun position, which will then cause your images to not blend nearly as nicely.

BTW: Love the details brought out by the shadows of the clouds. The second one, I think could use some forground illumination (mountains, not plants) either with a grad filter or an extra 1/2 stop exposure.

ravnostic
    Participant

I can’t tell you anything about the “darker spot” – do you have one of the individual images that I could look at? If it’s consistent from image to image, it can probably be fixed.

It’s consistant; it’s as orioniddescribed, a dropping off of the light toward the right side of the image frame, which shows up in the clouds. I’ll try the additional overlapping; in fact, the first two images where it’s less noticeable were, in fact, closer together.

o, I do everything manually these days except when I don’t have time to fiddle. I’m getting better with my initial settings; a light meter would probably be useful but I can at least look/guess within the ballpark. I did take some vertical pans of this scene. I’m saving those for a panoramic or stitch contest, though. No peekie. 😀

Thanks for the compliments!

SilverStag
    Participant

Were you using a polarizing filter, perchance? That can lead to odd effects as well as enhance vignetting if not carefully used.

ravnostic
    Participant

No, stag I wasn’t. I’d like to get one, though; I hear rainbows come out better with them (read that somewhere in here).

chupathingie
    Participant

Have you tried a different stitcher, or does the canon stitcher have any settings for adjusting light levels during stitching? Yeah, I know… I own a Canon, I should already know that, but the CD has never been removed from the case since I use linux and really didn’t know if the apps would run under wine…

BTW, nice pano… every time I see a beautiful one I want to take a vacation and drive around the SW for a week doing nothing but gathering weeks worth of stitching material. I am so jonesin’ for a road trip.

orionid
    Participant

It’s so flat here I can stand on a beer can and see Toronto.

Just get a taller tripod and a longer lens.

ravnostic
    Participant

Have you tried a different stitcher, or does the canon stitcher have any settings for adjusting light levels during stitching? Yeah, I know… I own a Canon, I should already know that, but the CD has never been removed from the case since I use linux and really didn’t know if the apps would run under wine…

BTW, nice pano… every time I see a beautiful one I want to take a vacation and drive around the SW for a week doing nothing but gathering weeks worth of stitching material. I am so jonesin’ for a road trip.

I get so many more choices out of the Canon software, I haven’t looked elsewise. I could run it through my photoshop program, though, and see what happens.

linguine
    Participant

Heres a free stitching program thats always worked well for me if you want something else to try it with http://cvlab.epfl.ch/~brown/autostitch/autostitch.html#autostitch

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Wow, this came out nice, but how to I fix this?’ is closed to new replies.