Yognuo RF-602tx Wireless Flash Triggers

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Yognuo RF-602tx Wireless Flash Triggers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    nobigdeal
    Participant

Most people on here who know me know I spend my weekends at bars and clubs around New England shooting live bands for my blog. I have run into issues lately with my flash cords, either getting in the way or as was the case 2 weeks ago, breaking. I broke 2 cords in one weekend!! They weren’t Canon cords but still, I wouldn’t expect both to pull apart. I needed a better solution than to go spend $40 on another cord. I looked around and did a bit of research into wireless flash triggers. After looking into some really inexpensive ones on eBay and some really expensive Alien Bees and Pocket Wizards I decided to go with the Yongnuo RF-602 triggers. I ordered them off of Amazon for the price of $44.00 delivered.

You can find these same triggers on eBay directly from Yongnuo in China for about $30, but I am an impatient sort and I needed them for Halloween weekend so I spent the extra money to get them from a domestic supplier rather than wait the 2 weeks or so for them to arrive from China.

The Yongnuo triggers are just that, triggers. They don’t have any eTTL capability and therefore may not be the best thing if your not familiar with manually setting your flash. This is fine for me as I usually shoot full manual and keep my flash in manual mode to get the lighting effects I am looking for.

The triggers themselves ar very solid for the price. The package included a PC sync cable, a remote trigger cable to use the remotes as a shutter trigger also and lo and behold Duracell batteries! I took the triggers out of the package, installed the batteries in the transmitter and receiver attached them to my camera and flash and pushed the shutter button. Flash! Easy as pie!

The only cons I see with these triggers is there is no retainer on the transmitter to hold it on the camera. This may not be a problem for someone using it to trigger studio lights or in a “normal” environment, but for me this was going to be problem. I solved it by putting a strip of Gorilla tape around the back of the transmitter and onto the camera to hold it in place. This worked well enough but on a few occasions the transmitter did work itself out of place and cause a misfire. It did not however fall off the camera and I was in some pretty rough shows on both Friday and Saturday.

Yongnuo says that they will sync up to 1/250 sec but I found that I did get a bit of shutter shadow in some shots at that speed. 1/200 or lower seemed best. Since there is no communication between the flash and camera second curtain flash and flash wake up signals did not work. According to the company wake up signal should work, but it didnt with my 430EX, maybe with a different flash it might.

I also threaded an eye hook onto the cold shoe end of the receiver to which I attached a carabiner and a wrist strap to secure the flash to my belt loop when not in use or to my wrist when I am using it.

Other than that I really have no complaints about these units. They do exactly what they are supposed to do. Fire my flash. The thing that I really like about being wireless is I can toss the flash to my wife and have her move to a different area to put the light were I want it without being limited to the length of the cord.

Yongnuo wireless transmitter by MusicInPictures.net (Ken Cote), on Flickr

Yongnuo wireless transmitter by MusicInPictures.net (Ken Cote), on Flickr

Yongnuo wireless receiver by MusicInPictures.net (Ken Cote), on Flickr

Yongnuo wireless receiver by MusicInPictures.net (Ken Cote), on Flickr

orionid
    Participant

Awesome!

Curious
    Participant

Awesome!

somehow i thought you’d like it 🙂

it is pretty cool solution to the problem.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Yognuo RF-602tx Wireless Flash Triggers’ is closed to new replies.