so…which side of the force *are* you?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Pollage so…which side of the force *are* you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

Let’s just see what the divide is...heretics…

Yugoboy
    Participant

I voted Nikon, because that’s my new toy that got me back into really digging photography, but the majority of my shots up to the Urban Art thread were on an Olympus.

Doubt that will happen too often from here on out.

Curious
    Participant

i was a minolta fanboy for years. even after it became konica/minolta.

but sony, oh hell no. that’s when i went to nikon.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I like to rib you Nikonites, but I’m a Canon user more through opportunity than choice. My oldest worked at Circuit City before they took the big dirt nap and Canon offered a pretty sweet deal on a lot of their catalogue to all of the employees in the camera dept to encourage them to buy Canon stuff and then recommend it, I’d presume. As I was wanting a dSLR about then, I took advantage of the offer and now I’ve got waaay too much invested in Canon product to ever think about switching. So, successful ploy on Canon’s part, I reckon.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I’ve been Nikon for a while now, but I had a Cannon PnS a while back. With my glass collection as it is now, I’m pretty much locked into Nikon now, and I don’t mind it.

chupathingie
    Participant

wow, I really was expecting more canon users… but sice I’m in the minority, Ima gonna head off to the kitchen and open me up a can of Smug. After I gat off work, that is. Yeah, I’m at work…again…big surprise.

Farktographer
    Participant

I like to rib you Nikonites, but I’m a Canon user more through opportunity than choice. My oldest worked at Circuit City before they took the big dirt nap and Canon offered a pretty sweet deal on a lot of their catalogue to all of the employees in the camera dept to encourage them to buy Canon stuff and then recommend it, I’d presume. As I was wanting a dSLR about then, I took advantage of the offer and now I’ve got waaay too much invested in Canon product to ever think about switching. So, successful ploy on Canon’s part, I reckon.

This happens a lot on all sides, from the people I’ve talked to. They might want to switch brands, but once you have so much invested in glass, it’s not worth it.

Kestrana
    Participant

I love my Nikon but I got it because orionid had one. Before that I had a Samsung P&S – 2 of my Farktography wins were off that camera. The first digital camera I had was a Canon P&S. My phone has more megapixels now then that camera had, but it was durable. I had it when I lived in the Nevada desert and I dropped it 500 feet when rock climbing. The corner of the casing got scratched up, and that was it. Later though, the internal circuits died, there was a recall but my bf at the time dropped the ball on shipping it out like he told me he would so, new camera it was.

sleeping
    Participant

This happens a lot on all sides, from the people I’ve talked to. They might want to switch brands, but once you have so much invested in glass, it’s not worth it.

Actually, the more expensive your gear is, the *easier* it is to make a brand switch; pro-grade glass tends to hold it’s value a lot better than consumer stuff.

But the thing is that Nikon and Canon especially, tend to be releasing things on offsetting schedules so the one that has the cool new stuff tends to look better, but which brand that is changes fairly regularly….

ennuipoet
    Participant

To be totally honest with you, I shoot Canon because my folks bought a Canon back in the day and gave it to me. My first, and favorite, camera was a Pentax K1000. I was very close to buying Pentax when I went digital, the only reason I didn’t was the availability of used equipment. Most of the 2nd Hand stuff on Ebay is either Nikon or Canon. I chose Canon over the Nikon because I’d never shot on a Nikon.

I love what I am seeing in the new Nikons, but I will be DAMNED if I am buying all new lenses! If someone walked up to me and said, I will replace everything you have if you switch to Nikon, I would do it and never look back.

Of course, if I were a Nikon shooter and someone made the same offer for Canon, I would probably do too.

orionid
    Participant

I just want a nikon equivalent to the 65mm MP-E.

Or an adapter.

chupathingie
    Participant

I’ve often wondered about the Nikon/Canon rivalry… both make quality gear (depending on price range, of course) and outstanding optics on their high end, but I have no idea of what either offers over the other in real terms. The only thing I’m aware of is (was?) that Canon’s sensors have better red/IR response (good for astrophotographers) and Nikon’s have better blues/greens; but the rivalry pre-dates digital so that really doesn’t explain much.

I went with Canon because I had been wanting to try my hand at astrophography for years, and since I had no collection of lenses (moot point if you’re shooting prime focus anyway) Canon made more sense. Well, they also were the first to market with a consumer-priced digital (<$1000) so I had 2 major reasons at the time.

sleeping
    Participant

Basically it just comes down to Canon shooters being agents of Satan…. 🙂

sleeping
    Participant

I just want a nikon equivalent to the 65mm MP-E.

Yes, please…

sleeping
    Participant

Basically it just comes down to Canon shooters being agents of Satan…. 🙂

I should add that I am actually speaking from experience here 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘so…which side of the force *are* you?’ is closed to new replies.