01-28-09 – Rocks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Big ones, little ones, mountains, cliffs, pebbles, minerals. Difficulty: not used in any kind of construction or (human) sculpture.

Thanks for the theme suggestion, Screwjack!

justkat
    Participant

Screwjack and Elsinore… I’ll be the first to ask a stupid nitpicky question. What defines a “(human) sculpture”? I found (and shot) an interesting pile of rocks down by the river that was clearly placed together by human hands, though obviously not for profit or audience or whatnot. Probably just somebody bored or a child playing. Is this a sculpture? I’d love to make a personal theme of found piles of rocks, but it may be absolutely specifically forbidden for this contest. If so, I’ll have to rev up my brain to think of a contest idea that would fit my concept. 😉

/I DID mean to bring this question up on the forums before it actually got scheduled… but I lagged. 😛

Elsinore
    Keymaster

If it was arranged by human hands, it sounds like a sculpture to me. I think the idea was for rocks to be photographed au naturale. But Screwjack can weigh in (if he’s still around)

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Screwjack and Elsinore… I’ll be the first to ask a stupid nitpicky question. What defines a “(human) sculpture”? I found (and shot) an interesting pile of rocks down by the river that was clearly placed together by human hands, though obviously not for profit or audience or whatnot. Probably just somebody bored or a child playing. Is this a sculpture? I’d love to make a personal theme of found piles of rocks, but it may be absolutely specifically forbidden for this contest. If so, I’ll have to rev up my brain to think of a contest idea that would fit my concept. 😉

/I DID mean to bring this question up on the forums before it actually got scheduled… but I lagged. 😛

If you decide to go with another theme to cover the arranged rocks here’s a suggestion to consider.

Imposing Order on Chaos

Show us evidence of people attempting to rearrange the natural state of things to suit their needs

Just a strawman to get the creative juices flowing. 🙂

justkat
    Participant

If you decide to go with another theme to cover the arranged rocks here’s a suggestion to consider.

Imposing Order on Chaos

Show us evidence of people attempting to rearrange the natural state of things to suit their needs

Just a strawman to get the creative juices flowing. 🙂

I like your idea, but I’m not sure it fits what’s in my head. I think it deserves consideration on its own merits, though! I’ll have to give it some more thought, see if it fits my own concepts or if I have a better idea for framing those concepts.

corsec67
    Participant

Sweet, I will be using pictures I took at Arches National Park for this contest.
    (Unless I get something better, but I doubt it)

justkat
    Participant

Sweet, I will be using pictures I took at Arches National Park for this contest.
    (Unless I get something better, but I doubt it)

well a big THANK YOU for jogging my mind! If *I* don’t find anything better, I have a shit-ton of rock pix from Joshua Tree. I love rocks….. 😛

[edited two hours later to add:]

I ended up choosing and messing with (by that i mean cropping, resizing, copywriting) 25 Joshua Tree pix! :O I did manage to find three of those I’m the most pleased with though. 😉

soosh
    Participant

does a mountain count if it’s not exposed rock? that could be confusing in the headline.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I would guess it would need exposed rock to count. Maybe we should clarify that?

jpatten
    Participant

Hmm.. Would stone mountain be disqualified? Its a Really big Rock, largest single piece of exposed granite east of the Mississippi. BUt it has one BIG carving on the face.

Not my picture..

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think the difficulty statement precludes rocks that have been used in any way for human purposes.

jpatten
    Participant

I was afraid of that, but considering the Rock was not in of itself a sculpture I thought I would check

corsec67
    Participant

I think the difficulty statement precludes rocks that have been used in any way for human purposes.

Well there goes that rock I sat on this morning.
    /joke

You mean no rocks that have been altered by people?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yes, altered is a much better choice of words.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Are seashells/coral/etc. considered as rocks for the purpose of this contest?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • The topic ‘01-28-09 – Rocks’ is closed to new replies.