02-20-08 – Windmills

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-20-08 – Windmills

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Old ones, new ones, big ones, little ones, metal ones, wood ones: photograph windmills.

Morningbreath
    Participant

I am pretty pumped for this one. there are a lot more windmills in my area than I realized.

Flavivirus
    Participant

do spinning wheels count? (the toys you like blow on and stuff)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, those strike me more as pinwheels, but maybe wickedfish could make a call on that since he suggested the theme.

shep.1972
    Participant

would windmills ‘in process’ count? examples being a large aeroshell being molded, raw materials or the like? what about the construction of a turbine tower? at what stage is it a ‘windmill’ for the purposes of the contest?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m not sure why they wouldn’t count, though you might have to explain it, and sometimes explanations detract from the photo.

corsec67
    Participant

There will be an eclipse on February 20th (10:00-10:51 PM EST), so after posting my picture(s) for this theme, I will be going outside to look at the moon.

(Just an FYI that there is going to be a nice eclipse that night, with the next one being in 2010)

I still have to look for a little windmill in a shop and take a picture of it…

soosh
    Participant

Alaska has shit for windmills. I doubt I’ll have an entry for this one.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Just realized we never heard from wickedfish on this one. If you check in before Wednesday, can you clarify if pinwheels are ok by you?

corsec67
    Participant

Just realized we never heard from wickedfish on this one. If you check in before Wednesday, can you clarify if pinwheels are ok by you?

Just to throw this out there:
    I think that a pinwheel would be fine according to the definition of a windmill:

Windmill
    1 a: a mill or machine operated by the wind usually acting on oblique vanes or sails that radiate from a horizontal shaft; especially : a wind-driven water pump or electric generator b: the wind-driven wheel of a windmill
    2: something that resembles or suggests a windmill; especially : a calisthenic exercise that involves alternately lowering each outstretched hand to touch the toes of the opposite foot

From m-w.com

Specifically, under 1b, just the wind-driven part is also considered a “windmill”. So, if it is designed to spin on a shaft that is almost horizontal just by wind power, that would be a windmill.

Of course, if you want to restrict it from that definition, it wouldn’t bother me.

schnee
    Participant

would a politician count?

Uranus
    Participant

would a politician count?

hell no. the buggers can’t even read….

staplermofo
    Participant

Hey miller, there is some delicious cake in that huge kite. You can trust me!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Specifically, under 1b, just the wind-driven part is also considered a “windmill”. So, if it is designed to spin on a shaft that is almost horizontal just by wind power, that would be a windmill.

Of course, if you want to restrict it from that definition, it wouldn’t bother me.

No, I think that sounds fine, and maybe that will open this up to more people. Unless Wickedfish jumps in with strong objections, I think anything that fits those definitions should be fair game.

Politicians are more windbags than wind[/b]mills[/b], methinks 😉

U-Man
    Participant

Alaska has shit for windmills.

Innovative. Bet they don’t work very well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • The topic ‘02-20-08 – Windmills’ is closed to new replies.