02-27-08 – Yellow

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-27-08 – Yellow

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

I’m with corsec on keeping the neighbors around for contrast. What about something like this?

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

yeah, I think the first one is cool… definately needs a crop though.

Killerclaw
    Participant

Damn twigs.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

not that I have anything that would fit, but would yellow as in “coward” fit the theme?

I think that would be fair game. However, I think that it would be really difficult to get the voters to get it on a quick look. Perhaps a caption could sell it.

That’s actually something of a bug with me. I mean, I like a good title, but if you have to post a sentence or three to explain a photo and “sell” it to the voters? I dunno…

jekxrb
    Participant

not that I have anything that would fit, but would yellow as in “coward” fit the theme?

I think that would be fair game. However, I think that it would be really difficult to get the voters to get it on a quick look. Perhaps a caption could sell it.

That’s actually something of a bug with me. I mean, I like a good title, but if you have to post a sentence or three to explain a photo and “sell” it to the voters? I dunno…

Maybe if it were just labelled “Cowardice” or “Yellow-bellied”? Or a short, snappy title: “Yellow in the face of danger” (lame, but I’m spitballing here)?

I’m not going that road myself, but I think people would get it immediately. Of course, it all depends on what’s in the picture, but if you can make it humorous, it might do well.

I actually think that if it needs sentences of explanation, it won’t get the votes anyways.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

So I’m going to assume from this example that a composition where yellow is the focus but in the minority from an overall color frequency perspective is acceptable for this contest? I was being too restrictive in scanning my negatives then, as usual. 🙂 If that sort of image is OK, I might go back through them again.

Also, can I get clarification on images that yellow due to the combination of evening light and expired film? I have one roll that came out overly saturated with the colors skewed as well. There’s a sand cliff that’s normally sandy brown that scanned in pretty yellow. I can post an example if that’s confusing. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, I always considered color themes saying “dominant” should be the main focus and frequency, not the minority, however there were some color-as-focus-but-minority-frequency in the Red theme as well. It can be done, and I’ve seen at least one example in a Farktographer’s Flickr that fit the bill very nicely. I don’t know about the example above. The yellow does “pop”, but there are lots of colors present.

Choc-Ful-A: Yeah, an example might help. But from what you describe, it could fit. I kinda think of sand as yellow-y anyway.

I actually think that if it needs sentences of explanation, it won’t get the votes anyways.

Sometimes that’s true, but it happens probably more often than you’d think.

Morningbreath
    Participant

Well, I always considered color themes saying “dominant” should be the main focus and frequency, not the minority, however there were some color-as-focus-but-minority-frequency in the Red theme as well. It can be done, and I’ve seen at least one example in a Farktographer’s Flickr that fit the bill very nicely. I don’t know about the example above. The yellow does “pop”, but there are lots of colors present.

One of my photos does not have much yellow in it, but the small amount of yellow is a dominant characteristic of the photo, and what the eye is drawn to, so I am planning to use it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, like I said, it can be done. It also goes to show how even a seemingly simple theme can result in very different interpretations. I always enjoy the color themes, and I’m looking forward to this one.

U-Man
    Participant

Mods, did you delete by black and white school bus?

U-Man
    Participant

I think that I may have hit ‘redisplay/refresh’ rather than ‘Add comment”. My bad.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Why would a black and white photo qualify for a theme about the color yellow?

U-Man
    Participant

Perhaps I was a bit out there, but I wanted to see if folks would get it that a school bus is still yellow in b&w. I was trying to be creative with the theme.

swampa
    Participant

Because yellow is just a very light shade of black 😛

Uranus
    Participant

already some of the shots have blown me away, so I have no high hopes for this one. Good work everyone!

i’m going back to bed……

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • The topic ‘02-27-08 – Yellow’ is closed to new replies.