04-21-10 – Potent Potables

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-21-10 – Potent Potables

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

LeicaLens: You can get GIMP, which is free, and it has a similar option for saving your images at a quality you specify. It even has a preview option so you can see exactly what the saved image will look like at the quality you’re setting and what the resulting file size will be.

And yes, Flickr will require a yahoo acct. Also, the free version will be limited to 200 images and a certain file size limit upload per month. You shouldn’t have any issues with running up against that if you’re only uploading Fark-sized images. Of the images that I’ve noticed dropping lately, a significant proportion of them are hosted on Imageshack, so I’m guessing their servers get pounded and can’t always take the pounding. Flickr has had some occasional hiccups, but they’ve been pretty rare in my experience.

Curious
    Participant

LeicaLens: You can get GIMP, which is free, and it has a similar option for saving your images at a quality you specify. It even has a preview option so you can see exactly what the saved image will look like at the quality you’re setting and what the resulting file size will be.

And yes, Flickr will require a yahoo acct. Also, the free version will be limited to 200 images and a certain file size limit upload per month. You shouldn’t have any issues with running up against that if you’re only uploading Fark-sized images. Of the images that I’ve noticed dropping lately, a significant proportion of them are hosted on Imageshack, so I’m guessing their servers get pounded and can’t always take the pounding. Flickr has had some occasional hiccups, but they’ve been pretty rare in my experience.

LeicaLens you can also get http://www.irfanview.com/ IfranView which also has a save for web feature and is also free. it too has a preview feature.

a flickr pro account is $25 a year which is reasonable. or i think it is. if you plan on entering regularly and want your images to last/show up months later you almost need paid hosting of some sort.

ravnostic
    Participant

LeicaLens you can also get http://www.irfanview.com/ IfranView which also has a save for web feature and is also free. it too has a preview feature.

a flickr pro account is $25 a year which is reasonable. or i think it is. if you plan on entering regularly and want your images to last/show up months later you almost need paid hosting of some sort.

I love my irfanview; no bugs, and it will often play media files that dont’ play elsewhere. Also allows simple editing of .raw files.

As for the flicker account, I suggest going to godaddy.com instead. Buy one of those off-the-wall cheap as dirt domain names (a couple bucks a year); godaddy will give you a hosting site, which you can treat as a place to keep your pictures rather than on a public forum site. 10 gigs space, and 300G transfer per month, which should accommodate farking needs for a long while.

Technically, if you build a web page with it, it’s ‘ad supported’, but if you just use it as a place to post your pictures from, that’s not an issue. Nearly everything I have posted is from my fossilspringsaz.com domain name, though I actually do pay for my service as I host a number of domains (and I really need to update the fossilsprings one–haven’t touched it in years other than to upload my pics!)

The downside is it’s not a publicly searchable place to store your stuff unless you have the know-how to build it as such. But besides that, it’s a great place to store extra pictures of family, important documents (wills, scripts, whatever), etc, so if your house should burn down (God forbid), you haven’t lost everything.

QueenBee
    Participant

you can also make a free account at tinypic.com and store pictures and do some minimal editing like resizing etc.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I actually have Photoshop, but I have yet to “get” it. That is to say, I have the Academic version, which means I have to jump through some hoops to dowload it from Adobe. Unfortunately, I can’t find the important bit of paper with the something-or-other on it (my office is a tip).
    Anyway, I signed up for Flickr in the end, and managed to post some pictures. Nothing amazing. Been busy here with stuff, so I haven’t been out to photograph for the last month or so.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Curious, ravnostic,
    I think I used used irfanview in the past. I shall have a look at them. Not sure about the pro account though; if it means paying with a credit card I am stuffed, because I don’t have one.
    And my photos barely count as “rank amateur”, let alone pro…

LeicaLens
    Participant

you can also make a free account at tinypic.com and store pictures and do some minimal editing like resizing etc.

I noticed quite a few people were using tinypic. My image of them is slightly warped by the ghastly images gorgor used to post on Fark using tinypic.
    I have this irrational fear that any photo of mine hosted with tinypic will suddenly be gorgorized, and turned in a shot of an naked albino pygmy doing unspeakable things to a dung-covered elephant-aardvark crossbreed.

orionid
    Participant

Just be glad aarkieboy isn’t still PSing. I had fears of his retarded kids and naked-with-a-goat-isms back in the day when I did PS contests.
    /2003ish
    //it was a Tuesday.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Just be glad aarkieboy isn’t still PSing. I had fears of his retarded kids and naked-with-a-goat-isms back in the day when I did PS contests.
    /2003ish
    //it was a Tuesday.

Ah, yes, aarkieboy. Apparently he went off to post on more photoshop-centric forum. Compared to rugbyjock, though, aarkieboy was subtle.

orionid
    Participant

Haha, true true.

ravnostic
    Participant

Curious, ravnostic,
    I think I used used irfanview in the past. I shall have a look at them. Not sure about the pro account though; if it means paying with a credit card I am stuffed, because I don’t have one.

I’ve used it since sometime in the 90’s. It’s improved a lot since then, but it still looks and feels the same way and it’s super easy to use. Plus, it’s not buggy (never crashes), and doesn’t have spyware or malware or any of that crap you might find in newer ‘freeware’ stuff. I swear by it. Of course, it’s no photoshop program, but then it’s not meant to be, either. It’s just a general photo editor.

Curious
    Participant

Curious, ravnostic Not sure about the pro account though; if it means paying with a credit card I am stuffed, because I don’t have one.

i think you can use paypal and tie that to a checking account. of course given paypals infamous past i can see why you might not want to do that.

as far as “pro” goes i’m with you 100%. i got the pro account because it was much easier to use for stuff i wanted to share with the general public. i have paid hosting and a web site also but due to poor design (my fault for that) it isn’t viewer friendly.

U-Man
    Participant

Ahhhh. Photoshop contests. Those things are what sucked me into fark. I was doing those for about a year before I started the photog stuff. Fun stuff. Did you know there is a photoshop ‘FSM’? I don’t remember doing 110 of those things.

http://www.mistersquirrel.net/fark/stats/user_profile.php?name=U-Man&start=6&show=0&sort=place&thumbs=6&original=&orient=&opos=

I wonder if I can get my pics back up…..

linguine
    Participant

Ahhhh. Photoshop contests. Those things are what sucked me into fark. I was doing those for about a year before I started the photog stuff. Fun stuff. Did you know there is a photoshop ‘FSM’? I don’t remember doing 110 of those things.

http://www.mistersquirrel.net/fark/stats/user_profile.php?name=U-Man&start=6&show=0&sort=place&thumbs=6&original=&orient=&opos=

I wonder if I can get my pics back up…..

I knew that there was a photoshop fsm but I never knew where it was, thanks for sharing.

justkat
    Participant

Well, how flippin’ unusual. My favorite shot is not only doing the best, but is going to be a top ten. Knock me over with a feather.

And every time I look at it I’m going to think of the two things I could have done to make it better, lmao. I will then proceed to remind myself that those things probably wouldn’t have affected voting, not at a farktography level. I may retake the picture, though, just for my own satisfaction. Maybe on our anniversary itself. =D

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • The topic ‘04-21-10 – Potent Potables’ is closed to new replies.